Twitching Female Crested Gecko

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Twitching Female Crested Gecko

Postby GeckoGirl » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:20 pm

Hi,

Last night I discovered that my female Crested Gecko was walking a bit strangely and twitching slightly (especially on her toes) but she still ate two medium sized crickets and was climbing the glass of her cage. This morning I checked on her again and found 2 eggs in her cage which she has obviously laid in the last few days (one is infertile, the other seems fine). She was still twitching all over today and we first mixed bone aid calcium with water and tried to get her to take that but she wouldn't and we didn't want to try and force her mouth open in case we cause any damage. Then thanks to Bjorn's suggestion, we mixed the calcium with purity and have been feeding her little by little every few hours...which she is eating.

I have read that laying females often suffer from Calcium deficiency and it would seem my crestie has symptoms although they are not severe, as mentioned she only has the twitching, her jaw is not slack and she is able to lick the calcium mix off her nose when I place it there.

She regularly eats crickets and is also fed Crested Gecko Diet mixed with purity, so I can't understand why this has happened. I also read today that additional Vitamin D3 should be given to aid calcium absorption, which I haven't done to date...does anyone here use T-Rex solar drops or similar in addition to CGD? (They say these deliver a regular controlled dose of natural dietary cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3)). And if so...how do you administer it? Also, I don't use a UVB light as it seems there is no consensus that Cresties need this, but some people say they should have it...should I be getting one?

Is there anything else anyone can suggest that we do to help her...I really can't lose her as she is a member of my family!!! :(

Thanks in advance!
GeckoGirl
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Twitching Female Crested Gecko

Postby Bushviper » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:02 am

Gecko girl I have used Solar drops with Leopard geckos who dont need UV either and it definately helps them to absorb the calcium. I thought it was rubbish but it really worked. The geckos recovered very quickly when both calcium and Solar drops were given compared to just extra calcium. Just add this to the slurry you put on her nose.

Try to use a high quality calcium (Bone aid etc) as some of the calciums produced are useless when trying to give your geckos extra calcium.

I hope she comes right quickly.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Re: Twitching Female Crested Gecko

Postby GeckoGirl » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:30 pm

Thanks so much Bushviper, glad to know that someone has used the Solar drops and that they actually work...you never know with all the products out there, I will go and get some today and add it to the mix.

On top of all the prayer ;-) I have been using the Bone Aid Calcium in the purity and she is no longer walking funny or twitching today and seems stronger already, although still a bit lethargic. I check on her every few hours and although the purity/calcium mix is in the dish in the "hospital" critter keeper she is in, she is still licking quite a bit off my finger every time I offer it to her, which seems to be a good sign so hoping she will be 100% soon :-)

Thanks again for the advice and have a Happy New Year!
GeckoGirl
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile Hospital