Tylan For R.I.

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Tylan For R.I.

Postby Hustler » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:48 pm

Has anyone else ever heard of using Tylan to 'cure' an R.I. in Burmese pythons and Red Tail Boas? Apparently it's used for livestock and comes in a feeding bottle type of container. apparently if injected into the snake just underneath the skin every 3rd day for 6 months it works magic. Has anyone else heard about using this stuff?
The man who has no imagination has no wings. -Muhammad Ali

You can live every day like a man. But if you do not die like a man then it all means nothing.
- Egan Inoue
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Tylan For R.I.

Postby Iggy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:47 pm

6 months to cure a RI? That seems a bit pointless, I don't think a snake with a severe RI would last long enough for it to be of much use, and if it did it probably wasn't that sick to start with? Never heard of the stuff but perhaps the timeframe you were given is wrong?
Perry's Bridge Reptile Park
Hazyview, Mpumalanga
"Through Inspiration Comes Conservation"
http://www.snakes-uncovered.com
FIND US ON FACEBOOK!
Iggy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Iggy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:32 am

Did a bit of research this morning, there are two dosing methods I read - once a day for 6 days, and every 3rd day for 3 days. I would double check with the vet though. I searched google for "Tylosan and snakes"if you would like to read up a bit more. Good to know there may be an alternative when Baytril is ineffective.
Hazyview, Mpumalanga
FIND US ON FACEBOOK!
Iggy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Neurotoxic » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:46 am

Hi Hustler. The most effective antibiotic to date to treat RI in Boids is Baytril.
Neurotoxic
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Iggy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:00 am

Agreed, however on the posts I searched they mentioned using Tylan successfully when Baytril has not worked - presumably treats a different spectrum of infectious agents.
Hazyview, Mpumalanga
FIND US ON FACEBOOK!
Iggy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Iggy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:05 am

This from Alex Hue Reptiles (response from a vet)
Treating RI (pneumonia) in snakes without some diagnostic testing (particularly tests to isolate and identify the specific organisms involved, and if they are bacterial, testing the relative sensitivity to a range of antibiotics) is a pure cr@p shoot. Tylosin has the advantage of being readily available (you can buy it in feed stores) but it is no more and no less likely to be effective than any other antibiotic. Realistically, most snakes with pneumonia are not subjected to exhaustive testing and treatment is by what I like to characterize as the wild-ass-guess method. Certain antibiotics have garnered a reputation for being effective, particularly Baytril, Fortaz, Amikacin, and yes, in some cases, tylosin.

Do some snakes respond to antibiotics? Definitely yes. Sometimes snakes get over pneumonia because husbandry issues are corrected or changed (humidity and heat) that enable the animal's immune system to kick in. Some snakes recover from RIs without antibiotics. Snakes with primary viral or fungal disease will not respond to antibiotics, unless secondary bacterial organisms are present.
Hazyview, Mpumalanga
FIND US ON FACEBOOK!
Iggy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hustler » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:53 am

Thanks Neurotoxic.
Iggy thanks as well. Pretty interesting stuff I thought hey, because I read a long long detailed positive response on the tylosin. I forgot where I read it but I will try and get the site again. I just found it to be a very interesting point. I've heard of using Baytril but it was my first hearing about using Tylosin.

You can live every day like a man. But if you do not die like a man then it all means nothing.
- Egan Inoue
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snake Charmer » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:23 pm

Neurotoxic wrote:Hi Hustler. The most effective antibiotic to date to treat RI in Boids is Baytril.

Ditto. And also add nebulising the snake with F10 and H2O mix (1ml F10 per 250ml water), adding a pinch of Bromhexine / Bisolven powder to the nebuliser.

Works like a charm!

For mild RI you can get away with only nebulising.
Repetition builds confidence!

MP
Snake Charmer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby alvinno » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:04 pm

Hi guys my friends burmese python as signs of a RI infection hes weezing and bubbles are coming out its mouth. We are in Fourways JHB can someone please help us with some info were we can get baytril from in our area and how to use it. We would have taken it to the vet but finances are low. The big guy is around 4m and 6years old hes temps are 34c in the hot side in 28.4c in the warm side humidity is around 60. Please help.
2.3.0 (Python molurus bivittatus)
1.1.0 (Python regius)
1.3.0 (Boa constrictor constrictor)
2.2.0 (Epicrates cenchria chenchria)
1.1.0 (Gongylophis colubrinus)
1.1.0 (Eunectes notaeus)
4.4.1 (Elaphe guttata guttata)
3.2.0 (Lampropeltis getula californiae)
alvinno
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snake Charmer » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:22 pm

alvinno wrote:Hi guys my friends burmese python as signs of a RI infection hes weezing and bubbles are coming out its mouth. We are in Fourways JHB can someone please help us with some info were we can get baytril from in our area and how to use it. We would have taken it to the vet but finances are low. The big guy is around 4m and 6years old hes temps are 34c in the hot side in 28.4c in the warm side humidity is around 60. Please help.

The only legal way to obtain AB's would be to consult with your local veterinarian, as drug dosages needs to be worked out correctly. Furthermore, Baytril is a scheduled drug, which needs to be dispensed by your vet.
Repetition builds confidence!

MP
Snake Charmer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby alvinno » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:54 pm

Is there a reptile vet around the Fourways area that i can take him to and how much is this gona set me back anyone knows cause my friend is in the U.S and the snake is in my care. I felt sorry for him all cramped up in his small encloser i brought him home with me and put him in my spare room. Another thing that worrys me is that i have about 10 other boas and pythons even though i got him away from them they might still get it ,can they?
1.1.0 (Python regius)
1.1.0 (Eunectes notaeus)
alvinno
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Iggy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:47 am

Alvinno you will need to be very careful with your husbandry, as it is possible to spread the infection and once it is in your collection can go like wildfire. Get some F10 disinfectant, costs around R60, and is then diluted so works out very cheap, and disinfect everything you use such as hooks etc, as well as yourself before handling any other snakes. The F10 can also be used as mentioned above, to nebulise the snake along with bisolvin (we got the liquid, around R100 from the pharmacy) and the nebuliser you can hire from a pharmacy. Cost of the vet is dependant, talk to them and they may let you pay it off if it is still out of your range, a consult is usually around R150 I think - the baytril itself is not that expensive.
Hazyview, Mpumalanga
FIND US ON FACEBOOK!
Iggy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:25 pm

The snake will only get sick if the husbandry is not up to scratch. I would check on the temperatures! They seem adequate but the snake should not be sick if they are what you say. Has the snake been taken out a lot or has the power gone off for a long time recently? Something else has caused the bubbling. Increasing the humidity is also a good idea.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby alvinno » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:16 pm

Thank you Iggy and BV for the info. Ok so i went to my friends home last night to check on the other guys he has there and they all looked fine. I checked the pythons encloser just to see what the temps wer like and it wasnt to good the 3 heating pads in there was pluged on and not working so it could have been that is what sparked the RI infection cause he wasnt checked on for a week till monday thats when i went there and brought him home to crash at my place. BV the temps in the room is perfect cause i put that room together just for my retics that aim plaining to get late this year. Iggy i will do what u recomended cause i will only get a chance monday to see the vet a friend says theres one in Kyalami. Will keep yourll updated thanks for the help.
1.1.0 (Python regius)
1.1.0 (Eunectes notaeus)
alvinno
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hustler » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:30 pm

Alvinno, sorry for straying off the topic but, is your friend in the U.S(United States)?

- Egan Inoue
Hustler
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Reptile Hospital