Mouth Rot or bad bruising

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Mouth Rot or bad bruising

Postby top dog » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:02 pm

Hello all
Got a problem with my female retic, whilst feeding her on Tuesday she mist the rat and bit the glass at full force, was worried but after she ate two rats i thought it was okay. Till this today i notice the left side of her face is very inflamed. Do i need to get her to a vet, is it mouth rot or just some swelling due to the bruising. thanks in advance.
Mark
top dog

Re: Mouth Rot or bad bruising

Postby LeglessDragon » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:50 pm

The best would be to have it checked out rather. With mouth rot you would also see some 'pussing'. Cheese like substance. But rather have it checked out just for incase.
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:26 am

Swelling is possible from the bump she got but can also be a sign of mouth rot. Gently open the mouth and see if there is any discharge in the mouth of under the lip. If not then just watch her and check again in a weeks time.

If there is any bleeding, bruising or discharge then rather take her to the vet for treatment.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby top dog » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:14 am

thanks bv i opened her mouth and found a open cut, got her to the vet.
Vet was great got 5 more injections to go back for but he really seemed to understand reptiles and he was very helpful aswe
top dog

Return to Reptile Hospital