Grey Rat Snake still sick

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Grey Rat Snake still sick

Postby Widget » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:14 am

I'm hoping some of the more experienced herps will be able to help us. We saved a grey rat snake from a student that didn't take good care of her last year. At the time she was a bout 3 months old. she would be about 9months old now. She has eaten on and off for the past few months, but she hasn't grown visibly yet. Sometimes she looks smaller than when we got her. She doesn't eat regularly and her excriment has been green and slimy from the start. Originaly I thought it was part of the parisite flush she received a month after we got her. She ate on Sunday, 7th of March. It really was a very small pinky. I tried to feed her another one this morning(they're only about 2cm long) and she refuses.
Eating isn't really what has me worried. It's the green slime excriment. Should I be worried?
Thanx in advance for the quick replies.
Widget
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Grey Rat Snake still sick

Postby rolandslf » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:42 pm

Don't feed her for the next 10 days or so. Give her FLAGYL medication at the end of this period.
Leave her a further 7 days and dose her again with FLAGYL.
Leave her a further 4 days and try a new born pink, if she eats and the stool passed is of the correct consistency, feed her a new born pink 4 days later.
If all is still well with her then feed slightly larger prey items every 5 days until you get to the normal sized prey item she should be eating.

I would also skip every fourth feed just to give the stomach time to recover from the process of digesting foods.

Maybe there are other members who can help with further advice.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby warbot » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:13 pm

I agree with rolandslf, that is about all you can do, I usually inject it into a small pinky, the correct amount according to the weight. and have it digested in that manner.

Just my 10c
“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
- by Jim Rohn -
warbot
This member has been banned

Postby Widget » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:49 am

Thx. Sounds great. Where can I get FLAGYL and how to I give it to her? Is it an injection?
Thx
Widget
SA Reptiles Member

Postby hammies » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:11 am

I used Introboost on my corns and it worked wonders. I bought it from the pet shop in Pomona(Airport Pets) in Kempton
You just add it to the drinking water.

Good luck
i'm not a complete idiot, some parts are still missing!!
hammies
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:28 am

@ Hammies - At this stage and considering the information given, I personally think we are dealing with an internal parasite or parasites, coupled with some sort of infection. I believe that it has got beyond the Introboost phase.

@ Widget - Flagyl is a medication which as far as I know can only be obtained by a script from a doctor. I do know however of people who have been able to get it over the counter. Flagyl is given by means of a tube inserted into the snakes mouth and the medication is squeezed out of a syringe into the snake. You would have to find out about dosages etc.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby hammies » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:03 pm

Oh OK. Rolandslf.

I am just referring to this post as an "excuse" for my earlier assumption, and in no way disagree with your diagnosis.
It is just what worked for me in that case.

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=19002&p=148349#p148349

I agree with you that Flagyl will be the best.

I merely suggested if one cannot get hold of Flagyl, Introboost might help in the mean time.
hammies
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:48 pm

I salute with your train of thought, and that is to try anything and everything to save this snake.
No offence taken, I am also just trying to help here.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby hammies » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:51 pm

Yes that is the important thing. :D :D
hammies
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:52 pm

Flagyl is the best choice but if you can't get it then the second option is Reptimed's Parasite Flush. It is a tiny bottle with pinkish liquid (the label is dark blue at the top and then red at the bottom). It can be found in most reptile pet shops. This is given in a weight ratio so you need to know more or less the weight of your snake. I would still go with the Flagyl if you can get it.

As far as the introboost, it would not be a bad idea to follow up with a bit of introboost after the flagyl. The flagly with the introboost after can only benifit the snake.
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snake Charmer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:38 pm

You can perhaps ask your vet to prescibe Flagyl / Metrinadozole (generic name) to your snake and then also work out the dosage required - from experience I can honestly say that Flagyl has done the trick!

GL!
Repetition builds confidence!

MP
Snake Charmer
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile Hospital