White lips not eating

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

White lips not eating

Postby Neels » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:41 pm

hi guys, i have a pair of small white lips about 1 month old....i try tease feed them pinkies knowing they only eat frogs and lizzards, but they wont eat the pinkies and there is no frogs i can catch that is small enough for them to eat or geckos that is small enough for them around my house ? any suggestions what i could do? Im gonna try gecko tails and if i catch a big frog do you think it would help if i rub the pinkies on the frog to get their scent and heat the pinkies up a bit? what other ways can i try because they havent eaten for 16 days now??

tnx alot
neels
Neels
SA Reptiles Member

Re: White lips not eating

Postby vuduman » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:24 pm

Getting these little ones to eat is all about patience.Try to teasefeed them geckotails.when they get a little bigger try scenting a pinky with a geckotail aswell.I usually smear the blood from a freshly broken off tail all over the pinky.when you teasefeed(with foreceps),it gets them biting plenty if you tap them on the tail with the meal.Once they have the prey in the mouth,you need to sit very still till it swallows,or he might spit it out.It usually takes a couple of tries.Never underestimate how far their striking range is.
Dwarf daygeckos are another option.I've never seen a whitelip refuse those,and it is the perfect size for a baby whitelip.
Goodluck and keep us posted.
vuduman
SA Reptiles Member

Re: White lips not eating

Postby Neels » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:26 pm

tnx alot im gona try that...will let you know how it goes
Neels
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile Hospital