Minimum temperature for G.Iguana?

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Minimum temperature for G.Iguana?

Postby Heinz09 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:36 pm

Well if global warming is not a myth then it might explain why in July I can walk around in shorts and a T Shirt, but all of the sudden our temperatures drop below 0... Quite a bit below zero, and my largest Iguana ignores the Pads, Lights etc.

He would choose a place where he wants and he just 'chills' there. I did find a problem on my heating though, and one cold night and it seems the he is frozen! Is it possible? He is the only one of my repiles that got affected by it, and I can't figure it out why. He is the only one and it seems something just aint right.

The temperatures dropped to -6, -7 or -8...

Please do not tell me what I do not want to hear right now. He is my oldest and most loved reptile...
Red Tail Boa 0,0,1
Mexican Red Knee 0,0,1
Trinidad Chevron 0,0,1
Curly Hair 0,0,1
Bearded Dragon 0, 0, 2
Heinz09
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Minimum temperature for G.Iguana?

Postby uncutdiamonds » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:46 am

Did the temperature drop that low in your house/ at their enclosure?
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Minimum temperature for G.Iguana?

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:38 am

Iguanas do not occur in areas where it gets that cold and do not know what to do. You need to do the thinking part for them. Some of them will do into a hide box where it is a bit warmer but in the jungles where they occur there are not heated spotlights that keep them warm over night.

I have seen these animals recover from the worst short cold snaps and I hope you are as lucky. Please keep us posted.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Reptile Hospital