Yawning Ball

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Yawning Ball

Postby munnik » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:08 pm

Hi guys,

I have noticed in the last week that my Ball is starting to yawn. Is this a bad thing, or a sign of an illness. I have just got my Boa healthy after a RI infection and don't want to have the same problem again. The Ball is not "wheezing" when breathing and there is no bubbles or excess moisture in his mouth when he yawns. Temps are good with an ambient temp of 29 - 30*C.

Andrew
munnik
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Yawning Ball

Postby DmD » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:21 pm

Maybe he's just tired :) haha
I'm sure some of guys and gals will give you some info ;)
JUST DO IT
DmD
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nzyme » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:44 pm

Balls do yawn.

Its something they do, if there is no visible signs, and the snake is eating and not in obvious distress its probably nothing.
Just keep a close eye for bubbles excess liquid etc.

How long have you had your ball for?

Im just trying to find out if this is new behavior of a snake you know for some while, or you just getting to know the snake.
1.0.0 Mojave
0.1.0 Spider
0.1.0 Pinstripe
1.0.0 Spider Het Axa
0.3.0 Normal
0.1.0 Axanthic
1.0.0 Yellowbelly
1.0.0 Cinnamon
0.1.0 Lemon Pastel
1.0.0 Ghost House snake
0.1.0 Albino House Snake
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow boa

Nikki du Toit
Nzyme
SA Reptiles Member

Postby eyed_lizard » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:49 pm

Nzyme, that might be true, I do not own balls per say, but have quite a collection of different species.

What I found on my kings, boas and pythons more than other species.

When they yawn, this is sometimes related to shedding. Not sure how though still need to research that.
But what I suspect is that this sometimes help to separate the sloughed skin and the new skin on the nose/face to start the actual shedding process.

This is not proven fact, just according to my personal research (time passer)
eyed_lizard
This member has been banned

Postby munnik » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:12 am

@nzyme: I've had the snake for about 6 months now, and this is the first time that I have noticed it. The reason I am having a mild panic attack is that it has been cold lately and the yawning coinciding with this has made me a little more aware of RI, especially after my Boa had a problem.

But there are no signs of any ilness. So I guess I'll just keep an eye on him and see if anything developes.

Thanks guys.
munnik
SA Reptiles Member

Postby eyed_lizard » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:39 am

http://www.sareptiles.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22869&p=175988&hilit=yawning#p175988

The link above will give some idea of what the yawning implies and can imply.
Usually after the eyes has gone back to normal, this means they are very close to shed a day or two, as my carpet pythons and boas they usually defecate just after the sloughing of the skin.

Also as explained, in my research, the yawning helps somehow to loosen the skin in the nose to start the shedding cycle.

All sounds good with your boa! :D
Enjoy!
eyed_lizard
This member has been banned

Return to Reptile Hospital