Retained eye cap

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Retained eye cap

Postby dEm0nic » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:29 pm

I have a big 4m+ long burmese who is about 20 yrs old, been in the same cage for years and years, good temp, huge pool he loves to soak in and eating well, but has retained his eyecaps on his last shed. Doesnt look good, and i am no expert here...been reading up and it seems the suggestion is to use sticky tape??? Please could someone talk me through this? The non-reptile vet has offered saline solution to wash and suggested olive oil???? hmmm I am sceptical about that one. I am worried about infection...
dEm0nic
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Retained eye cap

Postby cvanvollenstee » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:46 pm

On my burmese I use a low warm water soaked earbud and wash the eye with it constantly.

It comes right off. Bu that said my burmese is only about 1.2m
1. Green Iguana Male called Sarel See Monster
cvanvollenstee
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Silvrav » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:21 pm

Yip, and at 4m, it will be a bit more challenging, then 1.2m :)
Carpet Python - Morelia spilota cheynei
Silvrav
SA Reptiles Member

Postby eyed_lizard » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:57 pm

olive oil won't cause an infection as long as the surrounding area is clean before application.
Normal cooking oil does the job as well.

But don't leave it on!

Apply leave for and hour or so and wipe of with very moist cloth, if still on redo.
eyed_lizard
This member has been banned

Postby Bushviper » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:35 pm

Oil is a waste of time. Get some help (hopefully 3 people) and hold the snake down. Take prestick and press this on the eye and it should come off. You can try this a number of times in quick succession. If not then move to a stickier tape like carpet tape or packing tape. Make sure it is not a big piece that sticks to all the other scales as well. On a large snake like that you could try using tweezers and removing the eye cap but this is a real last resort. Let us know how it went.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby dEm0nic » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:15 pm

My boss was not keen on the prestic or sticky tape...so we tried washing with saline solution and wiping with cotton wool pads...no luck yet. Poor boy was not impressed with this effort but didnt resist too much just lots of snorting through his nose. I want to try the sticky tape but i think i have more convincing to do since he has more experience than I do.
dEm0nic
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:30 am

dEm0nic wrote:My boss was not keen on the prestic or sticky tape..................... I want to try the sticky tape but i think i have more convincing to do since he has more experience than I do.

Well his "experience" is obviously insufficient. Good luck with convincing him. What harm does he think the snake will come to? I have used these methods on snakes worth potentially 20 times what this animal is worth. If I thought it was risky I would not have suggested it.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby dEm0nic » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:43 am

Well i made the suggestion and was turned down, so far all attempts have failed (including the olive oil...) If we wait for his next shed will that work or is the risk of the eye becoming infected too great?
dEm0nic
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:54 am

The risk of infection is low due to the cage being slightly drier than what it should be. It is possible that the eye cap could come off next time but this will mean an increase in humidity just before the shedding.

Make sure your proposals are given in writing and that you keep a copy so that if something goes wrong in future then they cannot blame you. This is very important where you have a supervisor who lacks basic husbandry skills and may try to blame you in future.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Fooble » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:21 am

Surley tape will cause problems?

Ive seen a snakes scales ripped off from someone who used sticky tape in the enclosure and the snake got stuck.

Prestick is much safer IMO.

Also what about some fine forceps to left the cap off ive done this in the past.
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:49 am

Fooble on a large snake like that and using a small piece of tape you will not have problems. This is not the same as tape stuck to the sides of a small corn snake.

Tweezers can be dangerous if there is not a piece of skin attached to the eye cap to grasp. Digging around where the eye and the eye cap meet can cause damage rather easily. I have seen people who tried to do this and removed the current eye cap as well which eventually blinded the snake.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby deleray » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:28 am

No offence but your boss is an idiot. The fact that the snake has to go through this again is crazy.

I have removed eye caps from juvenile cobras with some tape and some care. A snake that size should not be a problem at all.

Don't tape the snakes eye down, just "dab" or roll the tape repeatedly over the eyeball. You will see the cap becomming loose and then either continue with the tape or grab the edge with some tweezers and presto - problem solved. It is not rocket science.

Like BV says, keep in mind the possibility of damaging the current eyecap or eyeball.
deleray
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dEm0nic » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:49 am

Hey guys take it easy on my boss, he does have the snakes best interests at heart I think he is worried if it goes wrong he will be blamed... but we also have to obey the vets intructions - we have a team of vets (with no reptile experience) that are prescribing the olive oil treatment. ble all these politics!!!! And its a foreign country, logic like we have in SA does not apply here ha ha
dEm0nic
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:37 am

On the flip side, olive oil is goo to remove mites ;)
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Return to Reptile Hospital