how to get a corn snake to eat?

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

how to get a corn snake to eat?

Postby imperial exotix » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:41 pm

hi guys i have a 7 month old corn snake that has not been eating for about 4 weeks.I have tried all the tricks to get her to eat, she has taken the rodent two times and regurgitated it.i switched her onto pinkies because i thought a fuzzie was to big even though she have took a fiuzzie 5 times with no problem.when i gave her the pinkie she took it and kept it down for 2 days and then regurertated it.What can i do should i take her to a vet and are they any good vets or people i can take her too in Durban
imperial exotix
SA Reptiles Member

Re: how to get a corn snake to eat?

Postby Wolf777 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:15 pm

What are the temps in the cage?
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:42 pm

Cage temps would most probably be the main reason why the snake regurged the 1st time, you have to check to make sure the temps are always right.

When a snake regurges once, then you can not just continue feeding on the same schedule as always, they lose a lot of the fluid in the stomach that helps in digestion and it takes quite a while to rebuild this to a level to digest the next meal. So when you feed again on the normal schedule the stomach is not ready and so the snake has to regurge again because the food is not digesting.
Give the snake at least 14 days after the last regurge before trying to feed again, make sure it has enough water to drink so it does not dehydrate. Also get a decent thermometer and thermostat and monitor the cage temps and make sure it does not go too low, not even for a few hours. If the temps stay up then you can try and feed the snake again but not if you are not sure.
Regurging is ALOT worse for a snake than rather not feeding for a few more days till you get the temps right.

What are you using for heat?
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby imperial exotix » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:55 pm

Thanks alot for every thing Mitton.I use a heat pad for heat and i am going to get a thermostat.Do you know where i can get one from Or do you know of any one that has on for sale
imperial exotix
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Crash » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:18 pm

I use a heat pad for heat and i am going to get a thermostat.Do you know where i can get one from Or do you know of any one that has on for sale

This will depend on your cage size, You also need a basking spot, And a cool spot, Meaning half your cage should be heated, A heating pad at night and a spot light during the day it should be 28'C on the basking spot, Then your cool side of the cage should be round 23'C. Try any local pet shop that does reptiles they average from about R60 to R100 but dont buy the normal stick on aquiriam one as they not spot on. And also ask them for advice as to showing you on how its done.
Crash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby imperial exotix » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:38 pm

Crash, I have been told by my local pet shop that it is bad to have a basking light because snakes need belly heat.Thanks for the help
imperial exotix
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Crash » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:47 pm

Haha you should of asked the pet shop if the sun shines from down under up lol. To be honest the pet shop knows nothing if they stick to that theory.
Crash
SA Reptiles Member

Postby imperial exotix » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:02 pm

Snakes are nocturnal and they dont come out in the day to bask.During the day the sun heats up the rocks and at night the snakes comes out and goes on the rocks to get the heat also the sun will heat the place where the snake is sleeping and they will get they heat from there.Thats what the pet shop and care sheets told me
imperial exotix
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:34 am

Dude... snakes bask in the sun as a primary source of heat... there are nocturnal snakes yes, but the majority are diurnal or crepuscular (active in mornings and evenings), the amount of heat they can absorb from the rocks is not enough to maintain a good level of activity... I dont trust pet shops as far as I can throw them, and if the care sheet told you that it sounds like a dodgy source to me...

The main concern with heat lamps and light bulbs is that they dry out the air that can lead to shedding problems, and if the snake can get at the bulb, they try to coil around it and often burn themselves... those are the real problems with a basking lamp... not the direction of the heat...

Corn snakes do just fine with a heating pad as a heat source, just make sure that your heat pad is adequate for the size cage you have... what are the cage dimensions? how big is the heating pad? the first thing to make 100% sure of is the temperatures... a snake being too cold is the number 1 cause of regurgitation... don't feed your snake again until you are sure the temps are not fluctuating to badly, like Crash said 28 on the warm side and 23 on the cool side (and NEVER more than 30 or less than 15!), ambient air temp should be around 25, humidity around 50-60%, provide plenty of fresh water, and dont handle your snake too much for at least a week before even thinking of offering food again, the main thing now is to get the stress levels way down and to slowly start to build up your snakes digestive system again. 3 regurges in a row are very hard on a snake

Good luck and keep us posted!
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Athlordian » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:52 am

The issue here is not with snakes in general, but more specifically, with a corn snake. Corn snakes are predominantly crepuscular, being most active at dusk and dawn. They regularly come out during the day to soak up a bit of sun (hence the round pupils). I'd definitely start by looking at the temperatures...nothing wrong with a basking spot, especially if it's one that doesn't emit light.
;-)
13.33.0 Python Regius
0.2.0 Boa Constrictor Imperator
1.0.0 Epicrates Cenchria Maurus

http://www.am-ballpythons.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/am.ballpythons
http://twitter.com/am_ballpythons
Athlordian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby eyed_lizard » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:15 am

imperial exotic, I would ask you to ask the owner of that petshop to read some books or log into this site, as that person have no idea what he/she is talking about!

If this carries on, that snake could die, Bernice gave you the best advice follow that rather.

Good luck.
eyed_lizard
This member has been banned

Return to Reptile Hospital