Some Boa advice.

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Some Boa advice.

Postby Slashback » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:46 am

Heya guys,
I need some help/advice please. My Boa (1.3m,+/- 1yr old) occasionally opens and closes her mouth (not yawning and not in pre-shed) and you can sometimes hear like a "click" sound from her mouth. She will also sometimes take a breath and make a wheez/hiss sound, but this is not a continuous thing. There is no visible moisture in and around her mouth/snout and defenitely no bubbles. She is eating well (1 adult rat per week) and is attentive and aware, but does spend a lot of time in her "sleeping box" on the cooler of the two heating pads. Humidity in the cage is 80-90% and heat is good.
I'm in Maritzburg..are there any herp friendly vets in maritzburg?
All help/advice will be appreciated.
Cheers
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks it's head out of a moving car's window.
Slashback
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Some Boa advice.

Postby cvanvollenstee » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:04 am

That sound like a respetory invections. My girl friend's brizilian rainbow boa did the presise same. The best you can do is up the tempriture to about 30-32oC and humidity to 80% for a week or two and if it does not work you have to go do what we did and go to a vet and get byatril injections for your boa. If the snake is not blowing bubble out of the nose yet it is 3 injections in 3 days. But the vet must know the amounts precise amounts otherwise you are going to make some damgage to that boa.
1. Green Iguana Male called Sarel See Monster
cvanvollenstee
SA Reptiles Member

Postby eyed_lizard » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:49 am

I agree 100% with cvanvollenstee, my one T. marcianus (Checkered garter snake) he gets it on a constant basis, not as bad though, and been to the vet a few times now, the conclusion we got is that he has an allergic reaction to wood lol.

So just check that before it gets to bad as they can die!
The injection plus meds costs about R200 from your local vet, well that is what I pay at my local vet anyway.
Good luck!
eyed_lizard
This member has been banned

Postby Bushviper » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:45 am

eyed_lizard wrote:... my one T. marcianus (Checkered garter snake) he gets it on a constant basis, not as bad though, and been to the vet a few times now, the conclusion we got is that he has an allergic reaction to wood lol.

You have to be joking? A qualified vet said your snake is allergic to wood? ..... and you pay him?
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby NickFT » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:44 pm

You have to be joking? A qualified vet said your snake is allergic to wood? ..... and you pay him?

Ha ha I really enjoy the conclusions some of these vets come to :)
Constipated people dont give a cr@p
NickFT
SA Reptiles Member

Postby cvanvollenstee » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:09 am

I heard that if the wood has a smell don't put it into the cage for it may make your snake sick?
1. Green Iguana Male called Sarel See Monster
cvanvollenstee
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:54 am

Certain woods can be toxic just like certain woods can be fatal is you use them to braai with. Avoid woods with strong smells like raw pine, eucalyptus etc. As wood ages the smell dissipates and is not a problem.

Wattle bark is serious stuff because the tannins in it can start to tan the snakes skin while it is alive and will damage your snake. If it gets wet and the snake hides under it you have major problems.

The best woods to use are fruit tree branches and vines from old vineyards.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby eyed_lizard » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:31 pm

Lol, I just want to say it was the first time at this specific vet, his partner was the reptile guy, anyway, the snake was also in shed and he gave us a bottle of eye drops after I told him she is in the blues, about to shed... and he looked at me funny, as if how is that possible?
(dumb nut lol)
eyed_lizard
This member has been banned

Return to Reptile Hospital