Advice for a hurt BHS?

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Advice for a hurt BHS?

Postby Bernice » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:51 pm

Hi there all!

I was given a tiny BHS, about 30cm long, that was accidentally dug up out of a garden, the garden boy then stuffed him into a small bamboo pipe that was used as garden edging and put a brick over it to keep him inside, but unfortunately baby was trying to climb out at the time, and the brick has mashed the poor babies head!

I but bactroban on the obvious wound on the top of his head, but there seems to be blood in his mouth that has dried and 'glued' his mouth closed, also he is not tongue flicking, he was moving with his head listing to one side but that has improved.

To try and get his mouth free of the dried blood I tried to get him to soak in a bit of luke warm water that was met with violent disapproval and thrashing, as was an attempt to daub his lips with water from a cotton bud... so to decrease his stress levels I have given him a larger water bowl, and have left him quietly alone... so far he has survived for 2 days, and is still strong and feisty

Im worried about him not tongue flicking and that he is incapable of opening his mouth... would it be a good idea to 'force' him to soak by putting him in a tub with a bit of water in the bottom?

I am going to post pics as soon as I can get them...
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Advice for a hurt BHS?

Postby alvinno » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:18 pm

Hi Bernice summers here and snakes are all over the place. I think the lower jaw is dislocated or crushed beyond repair that’s why he can’t open his mouth sadly. It also just goes to show how strong these snakes are, 2 days with a head injury and still figthing for survival.....
2.3.0 (Python molurus bivittatus)
1.1.0 (Python regius)
1.3.0 (Boa constrictor constrictor)
2.2.0 (Epicrates cenchria chenchria)
1.1.0 (Gongylophis colubrinus)
1.1.0 (Eunectes notaeus)
4.4.1 (Elaphe guttata guttata)
3.2.0 (Lampropeltis getula californiae)
alvinno
SA Reptiles Member

Postby alvinno » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:29 pm

He can’t flick his tongue cause the nerves that allow the snake to do this are damaged I cant believe aim saying this but if the above mentioned is the problem, euthanasia is a must.
2.3.0 (Python molurus bivittatus)
1.1.0 (Python regius)
1.3.0 (Boa constrictor constrictor)
2.2.0 (Epicrates cenchria chenchria)
1.1.0 (Gongylophis colubrinus)
1.1.0 (Eunectes notaeus)
4.4.1 (Elaphe guttata guttata)
3.2.0 (Lampropeltis getula californiae)
alvinno
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Scar69 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:23 pm

Hi say,

because he is still Young give him a fighting Chance!!
His body may repair itself due to him be juvinile.

If maybe he is still alive within a week track progress and feed.
If unable to eat, let it take its course,

Just try your best,
Good Luck
Akshar Sookraj

"Use Your Enemy's Hand To Catch A Snake"
Scar69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:20 pm

As long as the snake is alive there is hope. The tongue can be as a result of dried blood in the mouth or physical injury. I have seen snakes regenerate more than half a tongue in the past. With head injuries they either die within a day or two or they will recover.

You can put him in a tupperware with some water for a few hours and see what happens with his mouth. If you want to bring him by next week I can take a quick look at him for you.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Snake Charmer » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:20 pm

Auw man, I hope this little chap pulls through and makes a full recovery.
Repetition builds confidence!

MP
Snake Charmer
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile Hospital