in need of "Panacur" (Fenbendazole)

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

in need of "Panacur" (Fenbendazole)

Postby vinnige_fanie » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:54 pm

Hey everyone,

My new Female red sided garter has a lump on her side and from research it is "Nematodes" a common skin disease under garters caused by parasites.
So I need a some Fenbendazole or Panacur to get rid of these pesky little parasites, and the worst I had her in quarantine for a few days until she ate and now I have to treat them all.

so if anyone can direct me to someone that has please pm me thanks :)
vinnige_fanie
SA Reptiles Member

Re: in need of "Panacur" (Fenbendazole)

Postby vinnige_fanie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:48 am

Seriously?! no one?
Pythonadipsas? I understand that you used it at some point.
vinnige_fanie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:51 am

Seriously, give it some time.
Not many people are online between 10pm and 9am.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby michael » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:58 am

Nematodes are not a skin disease they are an endoparasite. Panacur will be effective to treat them. How do you know this is the problem? Have you had the faeces tested? Randomly giving your reptiles drugs is not a good idea. If you are certain that nematodes are responsible then the vet who tested the snake’s faeces for you can make up the dosage according to the weight, usually about 50mg per kg. Remember Panacur is slowly metabolized so you should repeat the dose once every day for three days and again once after10 days. The best way to administer the meds will be to tube it and follow up with a little water. While treating your snake make sure it has access to plenty of fresh water. Make sure you are sure what you are treating your snake for and don’t just treat the rest of your collection unless there is evidence of parasitic infection.
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby vinnige_fanie » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:32 pm

It is only the red sided garters I will be treating.
According to the book on Garters and water snakes, it is a common problem with CB and WC garters, and from the book it is quite easily distinguishable from other diseases, because what happens with garters they get little bumps, not many, just a few (1+) under the skin, but this also affects the digestive tract, though not considered as lethal but it is recommended to be treated asap to avoid long term damage.
According to what I read Nematodes are parasites (worms) and this causes the skin to get irritable and this causing the skin infection aka disease etc… but comes down to the same thing in the end
Thanks for the info, glad there is someone that knows about these things.
(And luckily I have a feeding tube and injection)
Will have to quarantine all 3 of them now and disinfect the cage throw the substrate away, eish! Big job lol anyway.

Oh my fiancé managed to get some just under R90
vinnige_fanie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby vinnige_fanie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:09 am

Howsit guys, ok I nearly made a terrable mistake yesterday regarding the treatment.
Let me explain, in the book it states 25mg/kg Fenbendazole right, now my fiance braught some Panacur for me last night and I started to sterilize the Feeding tube etc... It all came down to 1.6mg, and I thought this cannot be right it is too much, and then it hit me like a brick!
("It's a bird, it's a plane... No that's a brick boy!")

It is not 25mg of Panacur per kg, Fenbendazole, each g Panacur contains 187.5mg Fenbendazole, and if I worked according to that it came down to a total of 0.1625 ~ 0.16mg I was supposed to give my snake, by the way she is 65g.

So that could have been a fatal mistake!
Just thought I'd share that.
vinnige_fanie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:17 am

vinnige_fanie wrote:Howsit guys, ok I nearly made a terrable mistake yesterday regarding the treatment.
Let me explain, in the book it states 25mg/kg Fenbendazole right, now my fiance braught some Panacur for me last night and I started to sterilize the Feeding tube etc... It all came down to 1.6mg, and I thought this cannot be right it is too much, and then it hit me like a brick!
("It's a bird, it's a plane... No that's a brick boy!")

It is not 25mg of Panacur per kg, Fenbendazole, each g Panacur contains 187.5mg Fenbendazole, and if I worked according to that it came down to a total of 0.1625 ~ 0.16mg I was supposed to give my snake, by the way she is 65g.

So that could have been a fatal mistake!
Just thought I'd share that.

Eish, that could have ended up badly!
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:44 am

It should be 100mg of fenbendazole per ml.

Buy electrolyte from the vet. Mix 9ml with 1ml Panacur. Give him .2 ml through a 1ml syringe.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:02 am

Panacur has a fairly high margin of safety. 25mg per kg seems very low. Between 50 an100mg is what is normally used. I would certainly not go for the maximum dosage but rather somewhere in-between depending on how severe the infestation is. For example I used 50mg per kg on an A.chlorechis that weighed 68g and the snake no longer seems to have any parasites and is quite healthy.
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby it_bit_me » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:31 am

I read that too. They said the lethal dose was at 20x.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby vinnige_fanie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:36 am

Thanks for all the info guys.
20x of what?
vinnige_fanie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:37 pm

20 Times the recommended dose of 50-80mg/kg.
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby vinnige_fanie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:59 pm

Panacur or Fenbendazole
vinnige_fanie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:15 pm

Fenbendazole is the drug, Panacur is a brand name. They are the same thing.
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby it_bit_me » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:17 pm

Just remember that most of the info you read on forums are second-hand info. Talking to your vet is the best thing you can do.
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Reptile Hospital