in need of "Panacur" (Fenbendazole)

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Re: in need of "Panacur" (Fenbendazole)

Postby vinnige_fanie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:34 pm

dude, I don't trust my vet lol, he is scared of my monitor uuuh no, I won't trust him need to find another vet asap.
Michael, I don't understand, like I said before, on the directions manual that came with the meds, it says "1g of panacur containes 187.5 mg of fenbendazole", so what is the other 812.5mg made of?
vinnige_fanie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:50 pm

Michael, I don't understand, like I said before, on the directions manual that came with the meds, it says "1g of panacur containes 187.5 mg of fenbendazole", so what is the other 812.5mg made of?

Solvents and preservatives.

Panacur or Fenbendazole

Panacur is a brandname.
Fenbendazole is the chemical abbreviation of methyl N-(6-phenylsulfanyl-1H-benzoimidazol-2-yl)carbamate - the active ingredient of Panacur.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby vinnige_fanie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:56 pm

Ok, now I understand thanks froot
vinnige_fanie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Amphibian » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Dont wish to hijack this thread but it is strange to see that very few keepers suggest the method of injecting the medication into the animals prey item.
This is obviously a far less stressful method especially on animals that are finicky feeders. It would also allow you all the time in the world to prepare the correct dose before administering it...has it perhaps been proven to be less effective?
"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic.
We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudice and motivated by pride and vanity" – Dale Carnegie
Amphibian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:01 am

Hi Amphibian
The reason I don’t believe in injecting medication into prey items is that the prey needs to be digested before the medication is released. This can take a few days and the medication may lose its initial potency thus making an effective dose very hard to calculate.
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby vinnige_fanie » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:37 am

Amphibian, I used to do it that way for some time until (what Michael said) was presented to me and well since I use a tube feed.
What I do is this, before the meds I pull up some water into the tube, then some meds (made a mark on the tube as to how far) and I then insert the meds directly into the stomach of the serpent.

Last night after giving her meds and replacing the newspaper I gave her something to eat and her feeding response went from what I saw as a bad response for a garter to an excellent feeding response so I assume it is working.

So I am thinking to medicating her for 2 more days, so a total of 5, today is the 3rd so I have the weekend to monitor her, what do you think, advised? Discouraged?
vinnige_fanie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:51 am

Beware of feeding while on Panacur. They die from constipation not overdosing.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby vinnige_fanie » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:29 am

Thanks, I will just make sure the humidity is at its maximum luckily it wasn't a large meal.
Will remember that for future.
vinnige_fanie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Amphibian » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:14 pm

michael wrote:This can take a few days and the medication may lose its initial potency

I find this very interesting. What would cause the medication to lose its potency?
"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic.
We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudice and motivated by pride and vanity" – Dale Carnegie
Amphibian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby vinnige_fanie » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:52 pm

Some updates,

She is defecating well, though; the stools are a deep red colour?! Concerned!
She defecates very regularly once a day, usually at night and spends allot of time in the water fully submerged.
She is still very responsive and active, but I fear for the worst;
Earlier this afternoon when cleaning the tub and replacing the newspaper I picked her up and noticed more lumps, many more not easily spotted and never felt these but though very prominent when viewed from a ventral perspective.

So what I am getting to is this, I suspect that she very heavily infected with parasites "Nematodes" what is your suggestion on this matter, I am concerned because of the regular bowel movements, if I continue the medication I feel that this could have "bad" results.
vinnige_fanie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:56 pm

Plz put a picture on the thread, just for intrist.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby vinnige_fanie » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:48 pm

of the snake or the waste? cause I already chucked the waste.
vinnige_fanie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:21 am

Hi Amphibian
The reason for the meds losing their initial potency is that if you inject meds into a prey item the prey item has to be digested for the ,medication to be released and thus to be able to work. Digestion is not always that rapid and thus the medication is released periodically as the prey is digested in smaller doses instead of one big dose. Thus it does not always have the desired effect on the animal.
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby neko » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:35 pm

Jeepers. Perhaps it's time to find a decent vet. Surely someone could recommend a decent one in your area that isn't scared of monitors?
It's peanutbutter jelly time! GET SOME!!
neko
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby vinnige_fanie » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:13 pm

LoL yea, I think I found one in Edenvale, but cash is a bit low at the moment, will have to wait until payday, but I do agree that, that time has come.
vinnige_fanie
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Reptile Hospital