Sick Telescopus...... Help

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Sick Telescopus...... Help

Postby Malilangwe » Tue May 03, 2011 4:34 pm

Yesterday our head guide brought me a small Tiger snake that had been found in an electrical circuit box. Unfortunately i was not around when the snake was first discovered and the 'brightspark' who did come across it decided it was a good idea to spray it with doom!! Our head guide arrived about 20 mins later and the snake was completely immobile, like it had gone into rigor mortis. He washed the snake off with water and when it went under water he noticed it was 'blowing bubbles' i.e. alive. He brought it to me yesterday, 4 days since the event (i had been away). The snake is very lethargic and does not seem in good shape. I have soaked/let it swim in water hoping this would help but I am not sure if it will survive.

Does anyone have any advice on what i can do to help it? It is still small about 30cm TL.

Any help would be appreciated, i hope to release him once he is healthier.

Thanks,
Simon.
Malilangwe
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Sick Telescopus...... Help

Postby bubblesharp » Tue May 03, 2011 5:47 pm

What a freaken Moran!!!!

Hell I don't know if anything can be done, DOOM (I can't get over it, lets spray him with doom!)

I am no vet and never heard of a case like this either, I would also like to know if there is any treatment that will help the snake survive. I know that in humans Doom can cause coma, and/or brain damage, just thinking of that poor snake makes my blood boil.

I think that it all comes down to the "fight" that is left in the snake, Also don't know if you will be able to release him if he survives. He may well need someone too look after him from now on. to my knowledge doom can also cause temporary and permanent blindness in animals.

Keep us posted, but my guess (uneducated though) would be that if he has survived for 4 days he is a fighter and might, might just pull through (Holding thumbs) Also check him for respiratory problems that may be caused by the doom!

Good Luck
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Malilangwe » Wed May 04, 2011 11:16 am

Thanks bubblesharp, he was moving around last night but is still very lethargic and definitely hasn't got the temperament of a tiger snake but i will just have to wait and see if he pulls through.
Malilangwe
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Thu May 05, 2011 2:15 pm

The hugest thing you can and must do for that poor baby is keep him warm! search the forum for keeping instructions for Telescopus, and find out what temps they prefer, he has already been compromised by the poison so you cant allow him to get cold now...

If you dont come right with the forum, PM Bushviper or Bushbaby on this forum, they are whizz-kids at snake care and should be able to help you... also Dr. Elliot from Ondersterpoort has experience with reptiles, if all else fails she should be able to help you.

Where are you based?
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Malilangwe » Thu May 05, 2011 6:54 pm

I have got him pretty warm and have got experience with Telescopus. I had kept a pair up until a few months ago for 3 years, they were great. I gave them to a friend of mine who has more time than me and is keen to breed with them.

The little guy was pretty active last evening and seems he may be through the worst of it..... well finger crossed he is at least. We have got a resident vet here who has been away but will be back tomorrow. I am not sure how much experience he has with reptiles but i will ask him and see if he can have a look.

I am based in Zimbabwe by the way, in the South-eastern lowveld.
Malilangwe
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bernice » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:53 pm

Hi there...

Just wondering if this little guy pulled through eventually?
Happiness is a fat mouse and a warm rock!

Dont fly! 4X4! The noble eagle may soar! but a weasel wont get sucked into a jet intake valve...

Some people are like a slinky spring, they make you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs!
Bernice
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Malilangwe » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:40 pm

Ya he did eventually pull through. He was not well for a few weeks but soon began eating and got his temperament back. I released him a few weeks back once he was 100%. Its great to see such a lovely reptile going back to the wild. Here is a pic of him when i released him......

Malilangwe
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:50 pm

Stunning picture!
Well done and saving and releasing him.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby nvlooi » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:10 pm

Good job... Stunning pic WD!

H
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure... - Nelson Mandela

Henco
nvlooi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:25 pm

Lovely to have a story with a happy ending.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Manson » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:13 am

Beautiful snake - I'm sure it was a good feeling to let her go back to the wild!
God said, let us make human beings in our image, in our likeness so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals and over all the creatures that move along the ground.....Genesis 1:26
Manson
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Eyelash » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:42 am

Amazing pic and stunning animal...Well done on saving it !

Regards.
Louis Jacobsz
072 7992588
http://www.clickapet.co.za (coming soon)
https://www.facebook.com/LJAfricanCaptiveBreds
Eyelash
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile Hospital