scale rot?

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

scale rot?

Postby brentton kyle » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:40 pm

howsit guys was wondering if i could get some advice because iv been keeping snakes for 5 years now and hav neva come across an animal with scale rot nor hav any of mine had it, checking on my snakes this morning i noticed this on the belly of my male striped cal king (lampropeltis californiae). i have a feeling it might be scale rot, if so i dont understand how he got it because my humidity in the tank isnt high at ALL and the temps are perfect,he is also eating like a champ so the husbandry isnt in question at all.. if this is scale rot plzzzzzzz can i hav some advice on treatment etc. thanks guys
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brentton kyle
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Re: scale rot?

Postby taiwanbeauty » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:27 pm

It doesn't look like scale rot, im leaning more to dryness.
But im no expert, lets wait for other users to reply
IN THE BIBLE GOD GIVES US PERMISSION TO TREAD ON A SNAKES HEAD, ALL I CAN SAY IS “ PLEASE WATCH YOUR STEP”.
taiwanbeauty
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Nzyme » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Has the Snakes environment changed lately? Bedding, location Etc.

Another thing is the changing of the seasons, any external changes can drastically influence the internal conditions of an enclosure, depending on the enclosure and location of it.

Rot is most commonly determined by a browning of the scales, so look for that.

Another thing is hydration and parasitic infection.

So if you have a spare enclosure, get it warm and clean, make sure there is a fresh water source of sufficient size and check on the snake regularly.

If the browning occurs its most probably a rot.
If it is, its early stages and not so serious.

It can also be a number of infections viral, or fungal, which i know little about.
So check it out and post here as soon as you see any changes, i am sure someone will be able to identify the condition.
1.0.0 Mojave
0.1.0 Spider
0.1.0 Pinstripe
1.0.0 Spider Het Axa
0.3.0 Normal
0.1.0 Axanthic
1.0.0 Yellowbelly
1.0.0 Cinnamon
0.1.0 Lemon Pastel
1.0.0 Ghost House snake
0.1.0 Albino House Snake
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow boa

Nikki du Toit
Nzyme
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Durban Keeper » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:43 pm

That's what happens when a snakes heatpad is too hot. Least that's what it looks like to me.
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby brentton kyle » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:13 am

the temp in the tank is at a solid 28 degrees and has very little fluctuation during the day, and plenty of space to find a cool spot. i think the problem is that i saw my tank was rather dry and this could hav been the reason. i now hav him on newspaper with a moist hide box and i aslo started soaking him for about 20 min a day, hopefully this works, will update further down the line.. thanks for the advice guys appriciate it
brentton kyle

Postby bradmiller » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:42 am

Are you sure the last shed was a successful one?
You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it’ll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it’s not even funny.
- Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Postby brentton kyle » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:04 am

i noticed this a day after he had a full shed, i always check the sheddings of my snakes to make sure no shed was left behind
brentton kyle

Return to Reptile Hospital