Urgent help with BP Please?!

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Urgent help with BP Please?!

Postby ColinWa » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:57 am

Hi,

Okay so this morning at about 3 the power went off at my house, it was the coldest night in Benoni ever and i was totally unaware that the power was off as i was sleeping, when i woke up the power was still off and so i phoned and was told it would be back on within half an hour. Just before i left it went on briefly and apparently off again as i lift for work. I went a bit later to check on my BP and found him upside down rolling around and ice cold. I then immediately took him out, rushed him to my place of work and put him in luke warm water and then kept him under my shirt for a while. After a while he started to stiffen up his limb body and became more active. He seems much better now and he is in a tub next to a heater at work. I'd just like to know if there is anything underlying i should worry about as i'm leaving on holiday this weekend? (he will be kept at someone elses house for the weekend) and how do you guys overcome such problems as power outages in winter?

I know there is a thread on this for Leo's on methods, i'm not trying to repeat the post but it wasn't of much help for snakes at the time.

Thanks
Colin
"I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
ColinWa
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Urgent help with BP Please?!

Postby Bushviper » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:32 am

Well make sure your friend understands what temperatures the snake requires. It does not help to put him under a duvet for example when it gets cold. Your friend must also not over heat or dehydrate the snake either. Make sure the temps are checked with A THERMOMETER and not guessed. The water in your geyser usually keeps warm for a number of hours so he can get some warm (not hot) water from the tap and put that in a two litre bottle and keep that in the cage (wrapped in a towel) till the power comes back on. Check every hour to make sure it is still warm.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Return to Reptile Hospital