Possible mites?

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

Possible mites?

Postby gekosin » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:06 pm

Hi All,

Firstly I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this topics but here it is anyways.

I have recently noticed that there are tiny little bugs running around in 2 of my tanks at home (2 different substrates). We did full cleans in January and started with clean/ new substrate in all the tanks.

The bugs are tiny (smaller than a pin head) and dont seem to be on any of the snakes from what i can tell...

They are generally white/ grey in colour and so far there dont seem to be too many.

Any possible suggestions on what they are? Possible remedies to get rid of them?

Thanks
Proud Parent Of -

4.0.0 Corn Snake (Ghost Striped, Anery, Amber Stripe Corn)
0.3.0 Corn Snake (Normal, High Bloodred, Motley Gold Dust)
gekosin
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Possible mites?

Postby Primogen » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:09 pm

Sounds like wood mites, they live on the decomposing wood of the substrates and pose no risk to your snakes at all.
If you want to get rid of them just clean out the tank as normal and follow any mite killing techniques.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Possible mites?

Postby Snakesitter » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:53 pm

I agree with Primogen.

Good luck!
Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles
[i]Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility[/i]
Website http://www.livinggemsreptiles.com, Facebook http://www.facebook.com/lgreptiles
Snakesitter
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile Hospital