multi-vitamins for snakes

With Reptiles sometimes time is of the essence when it comes to their health. You can post your health related questions and answers here.

multi-vitamins for snakes

Postby butterfly » Tue May 22, 2007 7:53 pm

Hi there,

I am having problems with my one baby brown house snake. I got her about three weeks ago, and she refuses to eat. I have tried a few things, and I know that she will eventually eat, but I would like to give her some vitamins in the meantime.

A pet shop down here recommended "Electrodize" from Exo Terra. I would like to know if this would be okay to give to her, or is there something better?

I would also like to know if it would be a good idea to give snakes multi-vitamins with every feed or water change, even if they are eating well.
butterfly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue May 22, 2007 8:14 pm

Butterfly I would not jump to vitamins too quickly. If the snake is in a bad state the vitamins can be too strong and damage her organs. If the snake is getting good quality food they seldom need added vitamins.

Look at something else with the house snake. Is the cage warm enough, does she feel secure, has she eaten before and if so what has she taken etc etc? Look up there are a number of threads covering these problem feeders.

Keep us posted.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby mania » Tue May 22, 2007 10:06 pm

I once had a Bhs that was a juvenile that didnt eat for about 4 months then She one day just started eating like normal. So don't worry too much it should start eating, but if you still worried then take her to a vet to check if anything is wrong with her
leave no rock unturned
mania
SA Reptiles Member

Postby butterfly » Wed May 23, 2007 10:03 am

Thanks.

I'm not to worried about her yet it's only been about 3 weeks now and she's still in good condition.
I was just thinking of giving her somethink in her water so that she is getting something in.

I think the reason she doesn't want to eat is because I didn't give her enough time to get used to her new surroundings.

I made the mistake of trying to feed her the same day I got her which probably just added to her stress. The male that I got the same time ate straight away and I've had no problems with him.

I've tried a couple of things but I think she is still a bit stressed so I've put her in a quiet place by herself and I will try again in about a weeks time.

I know she will eventually eat, but for a beginner it is a bit stressful.

Thanks again for the help.
butterfly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Gary » Thu May 24, 2007 10:18 am

I had a similar problem and they also only ate after about 5 months, I agree it is very stressfull but when they eat you will be over the moon. You can try braining a pinky
Regards
Gary
You CAN do it.
Gary
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile Hospital