Heartbreaking Road Trips

At one stage or the other, we all deal with a death. It is never nice losing a pet and thus, you can share your loss with the rest of us and share your memories so that they will be remembered.

Heartbreaking Road Trips

Postby JPWittstock » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:53 pm

I travel extensively and see road kills all the time. It is truely heartbreaking
Here are some of the casualties I found on yesterdays trip.

419.jpg

448.jpg

Sorry about the cellphone picture quality. I have not downsized the camera pictures yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JPWittstock
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Heartbreaking Road Trips

Postby Snakes4Africa » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:16 pm

If you drove faster you could get there before they got squashed.
Those who have made no mistakes have learned nothing and can teach nothing.
The same is true of those who continue to make the same mistakes.

Pain is temporary
Snakes4Africa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby JPWittstock » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:21 pm

Thanks S4A, I already have a standing account with most traffic departments.
Some more pix
Picture 008a.jpg

Picture2 151a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JP WITTSTOCK
JPWittstock
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:47 pm

Really heartbreaking, they all looked really healthy.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Fooble » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:53 am

How does someone not see that rock monitor it looks quite large?
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby LeglessDragon » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:17 am

I once saw some kids drive off the road just to ride over a BHS that had sailed across the road! Some people can be so heartless.

Pity about those beautiful animals.
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rishaad » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:47 am

:( How big was that file snake JP.
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby warbot » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:21 am

I CAN'T STAND PEOPLE LIKE THAT!!!

why?!!!!

...just wana kick them ....there....!!!!

And I agree they looked "leke fat" and healthy :(

....sigh..... :.( people are so heartless, and they are the ones that find them and not us! that I don't understand at all?!?!)
“Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
- by Jim Rohn -
warbot
This member has been banned

Postby Buck Rogers » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:29 am

Rishaad wrote::( How big was that file snake JP.

Thanks I wasn't 100% sure it was a file snake. I agree with fooble that Rocky looks quite big and that puffy. if its a truck that's one story because swerving in a truck is a bit difficult and dangerous - so I can imagine that a lot of these could be from trucks - but then again people are c***s :(
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:40 am

I think most people are oblivious and do not do this intentionally. They are looking for out for trucks, taxis, Airlink airplanes and metro police that they dont see the snakes till the very end. Swerving at 120 is dangerous and they hit the animals instead of jerking the wheel.

Animals also seem to wait till the last minute to rush across the road. Leguaans do this quite a bit because they cannot estimate the speed of a vehicle. The file snake and puffy were probably on the road at night and then are not noticed in any case.

This does not make it any less sad. That is why I believe any road cruising to collect reptiles is justified because these animals would have been killed anyway.

The worst part is that there were many more road kills but they had been removed by scavengers before JP could record them.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:06 am

I have to admit I am guilty of this once in my life and I still feel like poo about it. I was in Mpumalanga a few years back on a project and myself and a friend were coming back from a days work passing through devils knuckles and the fog had set in and we were only going about 60 and as I came around the corner there was a large owl in the road and I couldn't swerve either way (couldn't see oncoming cars because of the corner and the other option was off the cliff) and I hit the owl. To this day I drive carefully in those type of areas and I know that I could not have avoided that but still feel terrible.
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:50 am

Shame Buck, that's not nice.

JP, that's the harsh reality. Last year when I went to Mosselbay I stopped and took tortoises off the road or moved them away from the roadside because I hoped they would not try crossing. I also chased a Leguuan who was aiming for the road. I get really depressed when I drive and then see so many animals dead on the road. Last year it included a vervet monkey and a few young springbuck, as well as 2 meerkats. Not fun!
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Loslappie » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:40 pm

I personally know of two people who crashed their vehicles and the dog they swerved for survived, only to get run down on the opposite side of the Road. :smt017
I’ve seen people aim for a snake while driving, there is some that does this intentionally: smt021
If it hasnt yet, it will!
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Waz » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:51 pm

man thats the worst! I hit an adolescent leguaan some years back right outside the entrance to a holiday resort between Louis Trichard and Tsikondeni. Didn't see him till it was almost too late, and even though I tried to pull off the road..... As BV says, you think you're gonna miss them till they see you, then they get a fright and bolt. Right into the way! I still feel really bad...

On that same trip I had to pull over twice and literally stop on comming traffic to move two separate tortoises off the road... One was pretty big (not sure if Leopard or Angulate - not that clued up with tortoises) and he had a lekker pee on my girlfriends arm when she picked him up! :)
Warren Garvie
www.facebook.com/warrengarviepage
Waz
SA Reptiles Member

Postby snake-5 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:27 pm

I can relate to this story, in sodwanan bay over the long weekend just passed we managed to get 1 x puff adder, 1 x red lipped live, dead was another story 3 x dead puffy's, 2 x dead red lipped heralds, a huge dead vine snake, a dead 1,6m snouted cobra, really sad and this is over 1 night, imagine the carnage over a year.
MY RETICS ARE ADIMANT THAT PEOPLE TASTE LIKE CHICKEN.

Im Zenafobic... that zena chick from t.v scares the cr@# out of me.
snake-5
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to RIP