RIP all....

At one stage or the other, we all deal with a death. It is never nice losing a pet and thus, you can share your loss with the rest of us and share your memories so that they will be remembered.

Re: RIP all....

Postby AneryCobra » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:10 pm

Sorry to hear about your loss... And I feel sorry for the unfortunate reptiles
1.2.0 Ball Python
1.1.0 Corn Snake
1.0.0 Honduran Milk Snake
0.0.1 Mexican King Snake

"I'm not about to go out and buy a snake for a pet. I mean, I may have faced a few fears but I'm not insane."
-Kristin Davis
AneryCobra
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpent » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:16 pm

Major bummer, not a nice thing to happen. Sounds like your heating is a over sized. My rack has one single strand of heating cable, the tubs never reach more than 28 on the cold side and 32 on the warm side. So even if the temp controller fails, you won't fry your snakes.
Serpent
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cyberduke » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:38 pm

hey guys, Thanks for all the messages i really appreciate it. Since i am very interested in electronics I will be thinking on ways to improve the safety of these things and also a fail safe. I will be consulting with Electric and Electronic engineers that I know.
Cyberduke
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:44 pm

If you share some info it would be nice, I don't feel comfortable using those thermostats anymore.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cyberduke » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:40 pm

ive got some info but its all rough and need some working on. I wil keep posting.

One soloution was having a redundancy (basicly something like plugging one thermo into the ather) witch sounds good but thats gonna be loads of cables and wiring. and just complicating things.

Another idea witch sounds like the way to go is some called thermal fuses witch is basicly a normal fuse but melts at a certian temprature. Witch then means that it opens the cuircut. here's a wikepidia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_cutoff
I am currently trying to get my hands on some for testing.
Cyberduke
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Primogen » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:31 pm

Cyberduke wrote:Another idea witch sounds like the way to go is some called thermal fuses witch is basicly a normal fuse but melts at a certian temprature. Witch then means that it opens the cuircut. here's a wikepidia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_cutoff
I am currently trying to get my hands on some for testing.

Thermal cut offs would be perfect but I have tried to get them before and none exist lower than 70 degrees Celcius the best I have found is a resettable thermal fuse of 50 degrees but its still to high.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cyberduke » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:13 pm

I saw somewhere cutoffs for 40 degrees. That would be better but still not perfect. But i wont stop looking. Even if i have to build something
Cyberduke
SA Reptiles Member

Postby djdobro » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:09 am

Hey guys. I am currently looking for thermostats with god functionality and those Elite-Temp ones look really nice. I am in contact with the elite-temp website guys and they say they produce them, and are going to put out some new models with better features. I will try to tell them to put some safety features.

Can you tell me where did you buy those 2 units? I tried to get them directly from the manufacturer but 120$ shipping for 2 units is toooo much :D Sorry for the loss, i know how it is. I am playing around with ATC-300 chinese thermostats and the Willhi (WH9002B, WH1607C) and for now the animals are OK, no defective equipment.
djdobro
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to RIP