rodent water feeders

Questions and suggestions regarding reptile cuisine.

Re: rodent water feeders

Postby bubblesharp » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:08 pm

The nipples I use in the coke bottles including the tube was R21 and because I took every thing the guy had I got them at R16 each. Honestly cant remember what brand it is, but they do not have the ball bearing, and they do not work on the plastic bottles only on glass, as they cause a suction and the sides of the bottle give in causing the system too flood. Only too be used with glass bottles, which is very heavy.

My one tub has a bunny feeder and it works well, they haven't tried to chow it yet. It was a second hand one I got for free because the pet shop owner did not have enough for me so he gave me the last one for free.

I'm setting up my rat racks for larger scale breeding next month, and will experiment more until I find a system that works perfectly for me. I also did get some videos on you tube on how to build watering systems, its more useful than just the picture instructions as you can see how it works now. l
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby scales » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:36 pm

I have checked the youtube videos before but all of them use the nipples from AG select and those are the expensive ones
scales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:36 pm

Ag nee buddy. If you pay R16 a valve compared to R30 for a bottle there really is nothing to complain about.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:06 pm

scales wrote:I have checked the youtube videos before but all of them use the nipples from AG select and those are the expensive ones

If you really want them that badly why not order qty in bulk from the states, they sell for $4 on that side, not sure if the postage and import duties will still make it viable. Maybe we could club together and make up an order.

Although I first want to make sure I want to go that route as they still tend to sometimes flood the tubs, thus why they use the buckets so that they don't flood the whole rack system if it gets jammed.

All I have on my mind right now is moving, I will start looking into watering systems etc next week when my racks are set up.
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby RedPixiePunk » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:10 am

it_bit_me wrote:Replacement nipples cost more than the whole bottle so it's best to buy them complete. If your thinking of a big water container with nipples running from tubes then the ones with the ball-bearing inside will do just fine.
Look at Crystal De-Luxe.

All my nipes leak. Are yours in a horizontal row or vertical?
@redpixiepunk
RedPixiePunk
SA Reptiles Member

Postby RedPixiePunk » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:23 am

the nipples i am using are the metal tube kind with the ball bearings inside but i cant get it to stop leaking. :(
@redpixiepunk
RedPixiePunk
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bubblesharp » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:21 am

@RedPixiePunk can you upload some pics of your setup, all the way from the reservoir to the valves, its a bit difficult to offer any advice or idea if we don't know what you already have.
Eben Brits
Cell 071 603 6596
BBM 27E1FDF4
bubblesharp
SA Reptiles Member

Postby RedPixiePunk » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:46 pm

I'll try to figure out how to get pics, the as card reader on my pc doesn't work. :(. I'll ask a friend to upload them
@redpixiepunk
RedPixiePunk
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:23 pm

Mine are horizontal, your leaks are caused by low quality tubes or too much pressure from the reservoir. You should try to fill the reservoir with less water or start looking for double ball-bearing tubes. Try the reservoir first

Do your mice stack up shavings against the tube? There is no valve or tube immune against it.
If I'm gonna be an old, lonely man, I'm gonna need a thing, you know, a hook, like that guy on the subway who eats his own face. So I figure I'll be Crazy Man with a Snake, y'know. Crazy Snake Man. And I'll get more snakes, call them my babies, kids won't walk past my place, they will run. "Run away from Crazy Snake Man, " they'll shout!”
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:57 pm

The problem with my idea is that you have to have all the nipples the same height off the floor. If the one is 10cm above the ground and the other 50cm the lowest one will have an higher water pressure and you will not be able to control flow with the amount of water in the reservoir, you will also need a sealed non collapsible reservoir. It's best not start off with a shaky idea. Go for those tested Edstroms and save some money on using your own reservoir and tubes with fittings.
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Seaborne » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:18 pm

Now I have read all the posts and I have come up with my own solution. I have no leaks, The entire watering system including my valves cost me less than R60. That was what I paid for the tubing and the 3 way tube connectors. The valves I use are free and gratis and works a charm. I am currently testing my system and making sure the mice take to it and don't (a) dehydrate and (b) don't flood the tubs. Once I have assured myself that my system works I will be adding it to all my tubs.

Most people just don't look at what is around them and go for the most expensive solution. I am not using old hamster ball bearing type tubes either as these can not take the pressure of the 20l water container.

If you guys just cant wait for the results feel free to sms me or join my Blackberry Mice group. I will gladly let you in on my (Top Secret Free) drinking valve.
Edward Seaborne
BBM Pin:25A1796F
Cell: 083 230 6736
info@nicemicefeeders.co.za

“Where service and product exceeds expectations”
Bearded Dragon 1.0
Ball Python 1.1
Cal King 0.1
Seaborne
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:57 pm

Are you using tyre valves da ?
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hoss » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:03 am

Seaborne, I know you're working with mice, but do you think your idea will work with rats (considering that they chew through things a little more aggressively than mice)?
Hoss
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Seaborne » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:17 am

Hoss I work with Multi's and I think they chew even more than rats. I cant however guarantee the valves, but as they were free I don't see the issue in replacing them should they become damaged.

Uwe - yes i am using a tyre valve not the car type however. I also needed to make a few mods for the setup to work.
Edward Seaborne
BBM Pin:25A1796F
Cell: 083 230 6736
info@nicemicefeeders.co.za

“Where service and product exceeds expectations”
Bearded Dragon 1.0
Ball Python 1.1
Cal King 0.1
Seaborne
SA Reptiles Member

Postby it_bit_me » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:53 am

How sensitive can a tyre valve be ? Is the return on the valve working with a spring ?
it_bit_me
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Reptile cuisine