Tasty chicken (DUW)

Questions and suggestions regarding reptile cuisine.

Tasty chicken (DUW)

Postby Bushviper » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:19 pm

Over the New year period my rodent supplier did not deliver. I decided to try chicken necks as a substitute on some snakes just for this week. I bought them at Pick and Pay.

I know some of the necks have substrate stuck to them but it mostly kenaf which goes right through the snakes digestive system.

I dont think these are good as a food source because they do not have the heart, liver, lungs etc but in desperate times a once off feed should not be a problem. I was amazed at the feeding response. The one snouted cobra chased me which he does not normally do when offered rodents. The rat snake also came right out of the cage to fetch more food. Other specimens of the same species showed zero interest in the chicken necks.

Uracoan rattlesnake

Black mamba

Tiger reticulated python

Greenish rat snake

Mozambique spitting cobra

Puff adder

Darwin carpet python

Albino suntiger reticulated python

Boomslang

Banded Rinkhlas

Western Diamondback rattler

The snouted cobra that I did not want to come after more food so I just dropped them on the hide.

The extra calcium they got might not be a bad thing. It was an interesting experiment. I am pretty sure we can produce sausages for the snakes to eat which will be easy to make and store. If they eat the chicken this easily then sausages made with organs and extra vitamins added should be healthy enough and they will probably eat them as well. It should be a lot cheaper than rodents too.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Re: Tasty chicken (DUW)

Postby Mr Venom » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:32 pm

Arno, so instead of rodents we can use homemade sausages from organs?

Could any rodent eater take them? How often and how much would one feed?

This is actually a very good idea.

Could you PM the details on which organs, from which animal and how much should be used? Any other info is very much appreciated.

My favorite picture is the Boomslang, very nice.

Thanks a ton for sharing Arno.
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Warren Klein » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:45 pm

Very interesting BV. Besides the cobras, I am quite surprised that some of these species accepted the necks as a substitute. I'm sure a bit of variation can be good but I would clean the fat from the necks before feeding as this can't be too healthy. We have a sausage made up with lean chicken, organ meat and vitamins for our lizards which works great but I have never tried it on a snake yet.
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:12 pm

I think the sausages would have to be able to withstand some constriction and very sharp teeth so normal sausage with skins like we buy will not work. It would have to be compressed and have gelatin added so that it is almost like a vienna sausage but more flexible. I would make them in sizes like what rodents are although possibly a bit longer.

I would think chicken necks and heads, ox heart and offal as well as multivitamins added all ground up along with possibly rats or mice to keep the smell will work. I am sure stillborn pigs and calves can be added as well. Now to find someone who works with this stuff. I think getting rodents in a meat processing plant will be impossible but possibly rabbits will solve this problem. I have put out feelers so hold thumbs we find an enthusiastic butcher who wants to help.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Mr Venom » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:05 pm

I also wanted to ask, can the sausages be used as a substitute or can they replace rodents fully?
1.1.0 B.C. Imperator
Mr Venom
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Primogen » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:24 pm

I just did a quick google search and found this thread from another forum, its a bit of a read but
has some good info about alternate snake foods.
“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Primogen » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:50 pm

“The animal needing something knows how much it needs, the man does not.” — Democritus
Primogen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby nbdreyer » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:06 am

Were any of your snakes that ate the chicken difficult or fussy eaters?
nbdreyer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:28 am

All the snake that ate are normal feeders. Some of the cobras, Rinkhals and puff adders did not want the necks. The burmese pythons and the boas pulled away quickly as did the house snakes. It seems this is just an individual taste that some snakes have.

I doubt this is a "one size fits all" solution but was just an experiment I tried.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby nbdreyer » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:35 am

Thanks! Will keep it in mind when I cant find multies.
nbdreyer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Smeegle » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:19 am

I tried it yesterday on some of my bigger snakes with some chicken necks from spar (R6 for a packet, yes!), and it went pretty well:

Rinkhals - Loved them, ate 5 before I ran out.
Forest Cobra - Loved them
Puff Adder 1 - Loved them
Cape Cobra - Gobbled them up

Puff Adder 2 - No luck, ate a rat later
Boomslang - Not interested (eats f/t mice off the tongs every time)
Mozam - Not interested (eats f/t mice off the tongs every time)
Snoutie - Not interested (was surprised as this thing is a dustbin), ate a rat later

It was nice to give the big guys who ate a good feed, but I am left in two minds about this. You speak to one person who says this is fine, and the next person will say you must never do it unless you want to give your snakes horrible diseases.

That said, I have a pair of adult cobra's that I bought 2 years ago. I know that the previous owner used to substitute their diet with chicken necks and hearts etc. for many years and today they are in perfect health and breed with no problems...
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.
- Dale Carnegie
Smeegle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:55 am

With the nationwide shortage of rodents I dont think that a feed like this once a month or every two months will do any harm. If this is meant for human consumption I doubt they have "horrible diseases". Removing the fat however will be a good idea.

I am really surprised the Spitter and the one Snouted cobra did not gobble them down. Next time leave them overnight?

I am going to try ox heart as well if I dont get my sausages in time. I will feed rodents this week and the next and then try a substitute the week after that.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby gekosin » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:02 pm

Is the shortage of rodents only due to a lack or breeders or is it something more serious?
Proud Parent Of -

4.0.0 Corn Snake (Ghost Striped, Anery, Amber Stripe Corn)
0.3.0 Corn Snake (Normal, High Bloodred, Motley Gold Dust)
gekosin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby imperial exotix » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:31 pm

@B.V, do you think the snakes prefer the necks over mice or rats?
imperial exotix
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:05 pm

gekosin : The shortage of rodents is a cycle however this time the one supplier sold off breeding stock and the cages and the other has been hit by theft so this year its far worse than other years.

Imperial exotics I am not sure. The rat snake was extra greedy as was the one snouted cobra.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Next

Return to Reptile cuisine