Tasty chicken (DUW)

Questions and suggestions regarding reptile cuisine.

Re: Tasty chicken (DUW)

Postby Warren Klein » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:19 pm

Is that Tiger retic just a normal Tiger because he looks very yellow?
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Postby cornell » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:25 pm

Gave chicken necks a bash this evening (considering im in the same situation with my rat supplier) and it went down VERY well!

One or two of my collection didnt seem sure what to do with them, but for the most part it was a success.

Thanks for the idea.
cornell
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:41 pm

Herphabitat wrote:Is that Tiger retic just a normal Tiger because he looks very yellow?

Yeah that one is just a very nice light colour. Possibly one of those "sibling" situations where they look better than average.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Ryuu » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:05 am

Apparently The excrete Doesn’t stink as bad if they are on chicken necks and pure meat.. I just Wonder if its nutritional in the Long run... there’s a lot of debate about it on the internet.. but if its possible to feed them on some kind of a manufactured food Product it will make life much easier for all of us.

That tiger retic is really Nice though.. in fact all the snakes are awesome!
Ryuu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ColinWa » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:51 am

Well after reading the link as earlier posted, I saw some people make a sausage with a few chicken necks in (obviosuly for larger snakes). It got me thinking, can one get some sausage skin, then fill it with a ckicken neck, heart and liver? Would this not be more nutritionally viable for a snake? This would also work out cheaper then if one buys a few packs of each and then freeze it. (sorry i'm quite new to the alternative foods for snakes so if it sounds silly excuse my ignorance lol)
"I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man"
ColinWa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:49 pm

Colin I am busy having sausages made and will let you know how they work out.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Mouse » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:06 pm

I dont know if they still do them, i saw it in my corn snake book they are call snake steak sausages by T-rex
Mouse
SA Reptiles Member

Postby jka » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:16 pm

@Bushviper: Any updates on the sausages?
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.

-Owned by scalybunni-
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:31 pm

jka wrote:@Bushviper: Any updates on the sausages?

Nope sorry. My supplier does not have this at the top of his priority list. He does not keep snakes obviously. I will keep bugging him.

Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby jka » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:24 pm

It would be great if works, I tried my snakes on chicken necks, got a king snake, cobra, mole snake and bhs feeding on it.
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.

-Owned by scalybunni-
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby uncutdiamonds » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:25 pm

Bushviper wrote:All the snake that ate are normal feeders. Some of the cobras, Rinkhals and puff adders did not want the necks. The burmese pythons and the boas pulled away quickly as did the house snakes. It seems this is just an individual taste that some snakes have.

I doubt this is a "one size fits all" solution but was just an experiment I tried.

Would there be a nutritional issue with this?
Is there something in rodents that poultry does not contain, but is vital to snakes/reptiles?
uncutdiamonds
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kuro » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:06 am

This is so cool, looks weird though. :) Thanks for sharing, difficult to get rats sometimes, will be nice to not leave them without food. Thanks again
Kuro
SA Reptiles Member

Postby CarlaSmit87 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:14 am

Gave this topic a lot of thought this weekend. My mole snake enjoyed 6 chicken necks and he loved them. The rest of snakes ignored it. My kingsnake ate a piece of raw "boerewors" on Saturday, just a small piece to see if she will take and she did.
Now, our Fruit and Veg City here sell a product called Pet Mince. This is organs and meat off-cuts that has been minced. If I could convince them to make a sausage out of this could this be fed to a snake if he will take it? Maybe add some calcium for the loss of bones? Feeding this sausage and feeding a normal rat once a month to keep things going?

Thought about mincing some dead rats and chicks with added chicken meat... but my parents not really keen for me using their mincer :roll:
CarlaSmit87
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:16 am

Not sure about the pet mince, but Boerewors is a BAD idea.

There's way too much salt in Boerewors, not to mention all the other spices, possible preservatives etc. Rather stay away from that.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:06 am

YES really bad idea to use meats that have been processed for humans. Even just the skin of the boerewors has lots of salt in it.

A buddy of mine made some more of the snake wors over the weekend as we tweeked the recipe and he reports that even ball pythons ate that. We wash the casing that the wors is made in twice and leave it overnight in fresh water. We then mince up ox-heart, chicken breasts, a portion of lamb kidney, beef liver and a few whole frozen rat pups. This is minced after which calcium powder and gelatine added and this is made in 'bite size' portions. It is fed at room temperature.

Just a few more experiments and we will be making it available to the open market.

Bushviper
Founder Member

PreviousNext

Return to Reptile cuisine