Live feeder crickets.

Questions and suggestions regarding reptile cuisine.

Live feeder crickets.

Postby eugenedbr » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:12 am

Good day. I would like to know if anyone can please tell me where I can buy bulk feeder crickets around the Johannesburg area for my Bearded Dragons. Thank you.
eugenedbr
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Live feeder crickets.

Postby mental-tree » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:47 pm

What area are you in and how many dragons do you need to feed? No point buying bulk if you only have a couple of dragons, the crickets will die off before you can feed them to the dragons.
mental-tree
SA Reptiles Member

Postby eugenedbr » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:49 pm

I am in Triomf Johannesburg and I have 2 small dragons.
eugenedbr
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mental-tree » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:24 am

If you only have 2 dragons rather stick to buying smaller quantities so you don't have too many crickets going to waste.

You should be fine buying +-150 crickets from a pet shop every 2 weeks. Transfer the crickets from the container they come in, into a large clear plastic container with newspaper substrate to keep them alive longer. Place a little container(lid off of a cheese spread jar etc.) of crushed dog pellets in with the crickets as well as a piece of paper towel which can be kept moist to provide water. Also put a few pieces of egg carton in to ensure there is sufficient hiding space for all of the crickets. All of this should help to keep the crickets alive for much longer. My last batch of crickets survived a month in a container setup like this.
mental-tree
SA Reptiles Member

Postby eugenedbr » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:19 pm

Thanks a lot for the advise. I will definitely try it.
eugenedbr
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile cuisine