What are phoenix worms?

Questions and suggestions regarding reptile cuisine.

What are phoenix worms?

Postby Leos r gr8 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:37 pm

Hi guys
Ive seen "phoenix worms" advertised for sale in the USA before and lately ive seen them here in SA, the question is what the hell are they!? :smt017
Save a tree - eat a beaver.
Leos r gr8
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:52 pm

They are maggots from some fly. They are pretty safe to use as food. They are also known as ga ga grubs, locally.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby gorltbt » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:40 pm

Any care sheets available on them or breeding techniques ?
If you don't have the time to do something right, where are you going to find the time to fix it.
gorltbt
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Leos r gr8 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:18 pm

Yea, search on google or yahoo
Save a tree - eat a beaver.
Leos r gr8
SA Reptiles Member

Postby EDDY » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:55 am

They are the maggot of the black soldier fly which is also indigenous to South Africa. I sell them in my shop but have not really try to breed them. I put some in the cage with the tokay geckos and now and then you see some flies flying in the cage and burrows made in the soil by them, so they are most probably breeding in there.

They are a good food source because they are high in calcium and cant do harm to your animals. The only problem is they are small and it would be a waste to feed only that to bigger lizards.

But they are also still new in the trade so people will rather buy crickets, but give them some time.
"if this car drive into group of gypsy, would there be any damage to the car?" BORAT
EDDY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Gearedup » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:09 pm

i feed 6-7 ga ga grubs in the morning and 10 crickets at night to my 6 month old beardie.

she loves them
Gearedup
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Taryn7 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:49 pm

Mine gets at least 15 phoenix worms a day and she eats up to 40 crickets a day too.
Taryn7
SA Reptiles Member

Re: What are phoenix worms?

Postby Ratanova » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:18 pm

I know this is a very old post, but im taking a chance. Do any of you know where I can get a constant supply of phoenix worms in Pretoria? Its for my leos.
Ratanova
SA Reptiles Member

Re: What are phoenix worms?

Postby JoziBugs » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:19 pm

Hi All,

I supply Phoenix Worms please email me at jozibugs@gmail.com for prices on various feeders (lots and lots of roaches :-D)

Phoenix worms (larvae of the Hermetia illucens, commonly known as Soldier Fly). An excellent feeder insect from dart frogs to bearded dragons.
Phoenix Worms are the only calcium-rich feeder with the perfect balance of calcium and phosphorus, 1.5:1. This natural balance means that Phoenix Worms can be a staple in your pet's diet. Breeders report that hatchlings that are fed Phoenix Worms right from the start are more than 30% larger than their clutch mates after just a few weeks! They also note higher activity levels and brighter colours for the babies that were fed PWs.
Phoenix Worms are ready to serve when you take them home. There's no need to dust or gut load these insects before feeding your pet. Phoenix Worms are low in fat and naturally have 23 to 61 times more calcium than other commonly fed feeder insects!

Thank you,
Jozi-Bugs Team
JoziBugs
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Reptile cuisine