bearded dragon pebbles?????

Questions and suggestions regarding reptile cuisine.

bearded dragon pebbles?????

Postby ben0727945311 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:20 pm

Do you get a special bearded dragon food that you can feed to them instead of crickets or maby a protene suplement that you would only have to feed them crickets once a week or somthing like that?????
The more i study the more i know.
The more i know the more i forget.
The more i forget the less i know
So why study???????????
ben0727945311
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kristo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:24 pm

The birds in france have been said to speak afrikaans....
"The prey equals in importance to the preditor and the preditor to that of the prey!"
Kristo
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Quintin » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:31 pm

HI Ben

Try www.google.com. Type in bearded dragon or any other animal that you are interested in, and you'll find millions of web sites that will tell you exactly how to care for each animal.

And yes, i'm almost sure that Exo Terra have products that can be fed to Beardies etc.. but they cannot just go on that alone. There is'nt always an "easy" way of doing things.

If you aquire an animal, you should do your utmost to care for it... and if that means breeding crickets, driving up and down to buy them, buying the special UVA lighting or buying the calcium suppliments.. then one should do it with passion.

Dont mean to be harsh here, but a person must read up and study all you can, as each and every one on this site has done... This site is aslo a very powerful study tool, but try reading up as much as you can on google.

Best regards,

Q
Quintin
SA Reptiles Member

Postby FabianF » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:34 pm

you should not feed them dragon pellets, that does not stimulate them at all.

Ben if you are not willing to look after the beardie rather do not get it, most of us take pleasure with our animals, we like to look after them. If you just want it coz its cool then please leave the poor animal, im not trying to offend you its just that you seem to be wanting to take the easy route on this.

You need to feed the beardie protein (live prey ) is always the best, not frozen, canned etc..

You can feed them Ga Ga grubs, but they will go through alot of those as they are tiny, and also you will find that after a week or so the grubs turn to flys if you have not finished them.. i went through a tub of grubs in 4 days with my beardie over 200.

You need to feed your beardie a decent meal, at least 3 times a day, that is highly important if its a baby, as babies grow very fast. I feed mine in the morning and evening.

FabianF
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ben0727945311 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:04 pm

ok i understand but im just trying to find out as much info as i can so that i can care for my animal proberbly and see if there is an easier way incase for some reason i cant get crickets evry day or somthing like that

Trust i will never buy an animal i cant care for!!
The more i study the more i know.
The more i know the more i forget.
The more i forget the less i know
So why study???????????
ben0727945311
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Taryn7 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:11 pm

I bought pellets for my guys as a means of giving them some variety but the spoilt brats wont touch them - even if I hide them in their greens :D
As they get older - they are easier to care for. My youngest is 6 months and has cut herself down to once a day feedings like the rest of ours. Once you get into the swing of things - even taking care of 4 like I do because just another part of each day.
Taryn7
SA Reptiles Member

Postby FabianF » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:44 am

My beardie is also sploit, he gets a mixture of rocket (which he loves) he is not a fan of other plants it would seem, still trying to find where to get endive or watever its called. He then has crickets ( which he doesnt seem to enjoy) , then phoenix worms, superworms(those he loves).
FabianF
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:23 am

Beardies do not need to eat crickets or proteins everyday. If you feed them crickets, oe mealworms, or gaga grubs, or whatever every other day, or only twice a week, they are not going to die.

Always provide them a mixture of greens and other vegetables and fruit, so that they can eat that throughout the day.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby FabianF » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:36 am

sorry bushbaby i dont agree with you there at all, beardies should be fed protein every day. Especially if the beardie is a baby, it needs alot of protein then. the bd will tend to slow down on proteins and move to a more veggie mix generally, but they should always be given proteins. and no ways should mealworms be used definitly not for babies. Its not about them going to die its about them having a decent meal. Its like saying to you, ok you can eat bread for the week then on the weekend you can have something healthy and wholesome. If my bd does not eat all his worms,crix, etc.. in the morning i simply try feed him them later in the evening. As for fruits mine does not like them, and im still searching for decent vegetables.
FabianF
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snowgoose » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:32 pm

Hi Ben,

If you go http://www.beardeddragons.co.za you should get most of the information you are looking for.

Beardies are great pets and you will get endless hours of pleasure out of them BUT you have to be prepared to do a bit of work. There is no quick-fix solution. They will need constant care and nutritious (preferably live food) daily and that could cost you up to R150 a week, they will need to be either misted or bathed a few times a week for hydration. You have to keep their cage clean and that means not being sqeamish about cleaning poo -there is no way around this one. They have to have the correct temperatures, lighting and supplements - if you take short cuts here they could end up with Metabolic Bone Disease. They need the correct size cage and a safe substrate.

All of this is time consuming and expensive but really worth it in the end and there are lots and lots of petshops in JHB that sell all the crickets, supplements & equipment you could want. AND the people on this forum are really knowledgable and willing to help. But you must be prepared to spend a lot of time and money on your herps cos the people here are very passionate about theirs and we dont tolerate any sort of animal cruelty - even unintentional (I'm not saying you're being cruel - just giving you the status quo).

I really hope that you take all the advice on this forum to heart and that if you get Beardies, you get as much pleasure out of them as we do!

:)

:)
If at first you don't succeed.... erase all evidence you ever tried.
http://twitter.com/snowgoosesa
Snowgoose
SA Reptiles Member

Postby neko » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:39 pm

Adult beardies do not need protien everyday. Baby beardies need daily protien till they are about 6 months old. After that you can feed them less, until they only get them twice or three times a week. They should always have vegetables. They can be fed the same veg diet as iguanas.
It's peanutbutter jelly time! GET SOME!!
neko
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby FabianF » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:50 am

adult beardies get changed to a lower protein diet (like 80% greens, 20% proteins) but they should still be offered protein and they will choose to eat it or not.
FabianF
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:13 am

Fabian after about 6 years of keeping bearded dragons I can assure you that adult bearded dragons do not not need food every day. If they have greens every day or even every second day with protein twice or 3 times a week they will be fine. Adult beardies generally do not turn their noses up at insects and prefer eating them to greens.

Babies need food far more regularly and once or twice a day should be sufficient.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Hanna » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:36 am

Hi there Fabian. I seem to agree with Bushviper... I dont know how long youve had your beardie but it doesnt seem long enoug.
Where do you get your info? :roll:
Maybe your sources are incorrect or something. Dont rely on everything you read on the Internet, rather ask someone that had physical experience with a beardie. :)
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.....
Hanna
SA Reptiles Member

Postby FabianF » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:04 am

Well the my beardie must be a first because he turns his nose up at insects.

@Hanna,

My sources are also people who have kept dragons for many years. And there dragons are in extremely good health, very strong, not fat, vert alert, active etc...
FabianF
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Reptile cuisine