HELP NEEDED WITH SHEDDING

Snakes exotic to South Africa commonly known as non-venomous.

View Gallery

HELP NEEDED WITH SHEDDING

Postby BEARDIE&BOX » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:27 pm

My Taiwan shedded and I noticed that both eyes are still capped( skin covering eyes) I had him in a warm bath for 10 minutes and made sure he’s head was under as well. Used Masking Tape wrapped around my finger and gently tapped it against the eye but the old skin won’t come off!! Please help!!!!!
Not knowing something is normally a milestone on the way to knowledge!
1.1.0 Elaphe Gutatta Gutatta
0.1.0 BCI Boa Constrictor Imperator
1.0.0 BCC Boa Constictor Constrictor
1.0.0 Orthriophis Taeniura Friesi
0.1.0 Lampropeltis Banana King
BEARDIE&BOX
SA Reptiles Member

Re: HELP NEEDED WITH SHEDDING

Postby Bushviper » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:47 pm

Please make sure the caps are still on. I had somebody try to help a snake with "eyecaps stuck" and they pulled off the current eye caps!!!! Take the shedding and make sure the eye caps on not on there.

Soak the snakes eyes for a while with water and then use packing tape which sticks much more than cellotape. If they is some skin attached you could try pulling them off with fine tweezers but see the above warning again.

If all else fails ask a reptile vet or if you can bring it to Pretoria I can get the caps off for you.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby BEARDIE&BOX » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:04 pm

Bushviper wrote:Please make sure the caps are still on. I had somebody try to help a snake with "eyecaps stuck" and they pulled off the current eye caps!!!! Take the shedding and make sure the eye caps on not on there.

Soak the snakes eyes for a while with water and then use packing tape which sticks much more than cellotape. If they is some skin attached you could try pulling them off with fine tweezers but see the above warning again.

If all else fails ask a reptile vet or if you can bring it to Pretoria I can get the caps off for you.

Hi BV. The caps is still on, I can see the crinkles on the lens and unfortunately the skin shedded in bits so no telling from the skin. He shedded 2 days ago and did not want to eat today. I also noticed that he doesn't detect movement when I move my hands on the side of he’s head! I would be glad if you could assist me. I'm scared of doing the tape thing again cause I don’t want to hurt the eyes.
BEARDIE&BOX
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Neurotoxic » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:32 am

Seeing though your snake shed in pieces, could indicate that humidity is too low and this can cause "crinkles" in the eye cap regardless the shed caps are off or retained. If you feel inexperienced in this regard seek a vet or an experienced person like BV said. We dont want you to cause harm to your snake.
Neurotoxic
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:03 pm

I am in Roodepoort, JHB, so if BV is too far then contact me and I can help you. I also have a (incomplete) list of reptile vets if you need it. You can also go to ReptileCity.co.za as they also have a list.

Don't try on your own! I have seen a blinded boa because someone attempted to remove the caps and punctured the eye when the snake moved! If your tiwanese is as large as mine then it is atleast a two man (or women) job.
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:31 pm

Ok Guys,

Went to see if I could help. The eye caps are still on, but the shed is the main problem here. Still some still on. Looks like a dermititis shed, but it is not that bad yet. No dermititis. Left the eye caps alone as it looks like the snake is going to shed again (to try and solve the problem itself. Nature is the best healer) anyway so less stress to the gorgeous thing. Prescribed betadine soaks 1hr a day and shedding box with a nice mixture of peat moss, Spagnum moss and vermiculite. Nice to burrow through and holds moisture well. Beardie has already said he is going to build a box for the mixture.

From what I heard sounds like this ti rat had a problem shedding before Beardie got him. I don't think humidity in the cage Beardie has for him is a problem at all. Cage setup and heating all looks good to provide correct humidity. Beardie has two water bowls; one on the heating pad and one on the other side of the cage as well.

Will check up again next week to see if it is working. If not then will take other measures. Going to see if we can solve the problem passively before trying anything else.

Over all health of the snake is very good, so it is not anything else suspecious. Has a lovely cage design. Beardie, you look after your animals very well. (Loved the iggys!)
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BEARDIE&BOX » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:09 am

LeglessDragon: Thx for attending to my Taiwan and the mixture you provided for the shedding box. Will be building shedding boxes for all my snake cages from now on as this is defiantly better then just keeping a water bowl on the heat pad. A healthy snake makes for a happy owner!!
Still soaking 1hr daily as recommended and will keep you updated!
BEARDIE&BOX
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:02 am

The shedding box is great to use. Hope all goes well.
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BEARDIE&BOX » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:09 pm

Sad to inform you that my Taiwan Jet-Lee past away on the 14th, thx for all your help and advice guys. I'll make sure to buy from a private reputable snake keeper/breeder in future!!
BEARDIE&BOX
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:23 pm

I am so sorry to hear that. I was not to sure if I should ask. Sorry Beardie. You did try your best. Hows the little girl doing?
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BEARDIE&BOX » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:46 am

The female Taiwan shedded completely and took 2x fuzzies at lightning speed, hope she stay's healthy.....
BEARDIE&BOX
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic fangless (harmless) snakes