Angolan Dwarf Python(P.anchietae)

Snakes exotic to South Africa commonly known as non-venomous.

View Gallery

Angolan Dwarf Python(P.anchietae)

Postby Allen G. Liebenberg » Wed May 14, 2014 4:34 pm

Hi all.What is the status in the wild regarding this snake?I lived in Namibia for a few years and my brother has a lodge in Damaraland and sees them regularly but not often-Maybe one a year-the adults seem to prey on Ground squirrels a lot .
Are they threatened in the wild or just seldom seen because of their restricted habitat?
Can anyone give more info? :?:
Allen G. Liebenberg
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Angolan Dwarf Python(P.anchietae)

Postby Kakibos » Thu May 15, 2014 7:31 am

Hi Allen I found your question very interesting and found a bit off information on the topic for you on a site, The IUCN Red list of Threatened species. I will post a link to the site where the P. anchietae is discussed.

I extracted the following from the site which I believe is the answer to your question.
"Justification:
Python anchietae has been assessed as Least Concern. This species has a wide distribution in unpopulated areas. While this species is considered rare and is sought for the pet trade, this threat is believed to be under control. Its remote range and presence in protected areas means this species is stable and unlikely to be globally threatened. Further research into harvest levels, particularly into the extent of illegal collecting, is recommended."

Hope this helps.

Here is the link : http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/177539/0
Kakibos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu May 15, 2014 10:53 am

The few that were smuggled out of Namibia and Angola possibly did this snake a favour. They are bred in huge numbers in the US, Canada and in Europe. The prices have plummeted to the point where some breeders do not bother to breed them any more. That part sounds like sour grapes to me though. Some of the zoos who have legally acquired stock have offered them for free or next to nothing to zoos in South Africa.

Most of the specimens bred in SA originate from Canada and Germany. There are rumours that some originate from wild caught (read poached) specimens. If you are buying any just ask for a copy of the permits the parents came in one. It is not unreasonable.

In days gone by people would make a pilgrimage to Namibia to hope to find one and smuggle it back. Now the cost of the flight can buy you a captive bred pair of these with all the permits required. The urge / demand to poach is effectively eliminated and the wild ones no longer have a bounty on their heads.

There are still some locals who would still try smuggle them but realistically that should be eliminated in a few years as well.

This is the same with species like Angolan Coral snakes. The demand for them was also great and "justified" taking the chance to poach them. Now they are so common nobody will even bother to pick up one on a road and bring it home.

Conservation through captive propagation is a reality. Wild caught Dwarf pythons can take up to 18 years to breed in captivity however captive bred ones will bred in three years. They are even being cross bred into ball pythons just to ensure they will sell.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Warren Klein » Fri May 16, 2014 6:03 pm

Python anchietae occurs in scattered populations throughout their range and are rarely encountered due to their distribution area being largely unpopulated by people. Most specimens have been found around Windhoek because this is where one of the highest densities of human habitation is within their range.

The type specimen came from the Benguela province of Angola but I would think it is likely that the Dwarf pythons in captivity originated from Namibia rather than Angola due to the long lasting Angolan civil war.

I wonder if there is any information available of where the founder animals of the captive bred specimens that we are now getting out of Germany and Canada came from?
An inaccurate naturalist is a pest and a danger, forever perpetuating illogical deductions and landing later naturalists in trouble. Damm and blast them all to hell in the most painful way. C.J.P. Ionides
Warren Klein
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic fangless (harmless) snakes