Looking for arboreal non venomous smal snakel

Snakes exotic to South Africa commonly known as non-venomous.

View Gallery

Re: Looking for arboreal non venomous smal snakel

Postby Jussi » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:02 am

Jamster wrote:Howzit Jussi.

ATB's are probably your best option within your price and size range. For some reason you think they get very big? Amazon trees don't get very thick at all and in most cases remain at a very manageable size even when it comes to the aggressive individuals. They are great snakes for arboreal setups and display very well on horizontal branches.

Trying to get any captive bred Philothamnus on permit is probably not going to happen, at all, for most people, ever. Even if you do manage it, you probably won't manage to get food for it. Hatchlings feed on small geckos, skinks, reed frogs, etc. Catching feeder reptiles and amphibians in most provinces is highly illegal. Attaining one wild caught natal green snake would do little or nothing at all to local wildlife, but you have the right idea there.

Marbled tree snakes are great little snakes! They do however tend to be rather secretive and are not the kind of snake you would want to hold very often. Once again food is an issue. They feed on gecko's and small frogs... You could use heavy scenting to get it on to pinks, but this isn't ideal.
Thanx a lot I was talking to a few people who have marbled tree snakes and it looks like some of them with luck take to pinks, ill look at many getting a ngs and do some more research on amazon tree boas thanx a lot

What about Bredli's carpet pythons? Jaguar carpet or even a coastal. You will have plenty of time to gain experience as the snake grows.

Rhino rats are awesome snakes and I would jump at the chance to get one! The colour change from juvie to adult is also something that would be interesting to watch as it grows.

Good luck!
Jussi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jussi » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:04 am

Sorry the rest cut off just the quote stayed buti said that I'd do some more research on atb's and look at maby finding a wc natal green snake. Thanx alot
Jussi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby reptile » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:21 am

Cool! Hope you find one.
85% of all snakes are harmless!!!!
0:1 Super Hypo Leopard Gecko
God made everything... It's all to perfect for it to be able to just appear
reptile
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:12 pm

As I mentioned, even if you get a natal green, you probably won't be able to get food items for it.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby reptile » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:49 pm

Is it not possible to feed them scented pinkies? I know this is not Ideal, but it should work.
reptile
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jussi » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:35 pm

I've seen people whose green snakes have taken pinks I know it's a bit of a long shot but I'm sure with some persuasion I'll get it to eat. But the rhino rat snake is still a great idea and I think I'll end up going with one of those
Jussi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby reptile » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:25 pm

Probably better to do so, because then you won't have the hassle of a permit, and feeders. Good luck!
reptile
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Jamster » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:19 pm

There are plenty of debates on how feeding rodents to snakes that don't usually feed on them isn't good for them in the long run.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby reptile » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:34 am

I agree. Luckily I'm in Malawi, so feeding the snakes natural prey is easy, and not against any laws as far as I know.
reptile
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Whitelipp » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:22 pm

Hi there Jussi

The problem with Philothamnus sp. is that they dont last long in captivity in my experience. Philothamnus semivariegatus needs allot of height and space to not rub their noses raw. They are quite active snakes. Sub adults and adults dont struggle taking pinkies. Ive nursed injured Bush snakes on small pinkies and they have done well but not for a long period. They are reptile feeders and thats the best diet for these snakes. Like feeding reptile feeding Adders rodents to often causes fatty liver disease, Im not sure if the same will happen with Philothamnus sp.

What I would recommend is that you try something like ATB's your experience will grow with the snake.
Goodluck but try and do as much research as possible without trying to convince yourself what you want to hear or read. Read the facts and make the appropriate decision.
Dont bite, strike!!!!

Dont keep it real, keep it EXOTIC!!!
Whitelipp
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Exotic fangless (harmless) snakes