Rat snake species available in SA?

Snakes exotic to South Africa commonly known as non-venomous.

View Gallery

Rat snake species available in SA?

Postby Viper_SA » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:21 pm

index.jpeg

E.frenata3.jpg

Hi everyone,

I recently switched over to rack systems vs the old style oak cages and now have some more space available. Although I love my Kenyan sand boas, I do miss having a colubrid or two in the collection. Since my first Cornsnake way back in 2004 I have always wanted a Thai Bamboo rat snake. Also loike the coloring on the Rein snake - Rhadinophis frenatus. Can anyone tell me if these snakes are available in SA? Or any similar species that is <150cm in size.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Happy herping :D

My Gallery: http://www.sareptiles.co.za/gallery/index-25579.html
Viper_SA
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Rat snake species available in SA?

Postby Westley Price » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:27 am

Hi Viper_SA

There were some coxi in SA a while back but I think all the females died so I dount that there will be any for sale soon. However, two of the other subspecies, vaillanti and laticincta are available virtually every year so maybe you can look into those.

I have not heard of frenata locally, but Eyelash has got a pair of prasinum which are quite similar.

Have you thought about a Rhino Ratsnake? They are commonly available and are easy to care for.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:20 pm

I personally believe that rat snakes as we have known them will die out in this hobby. Years ago you could get "white oak" grey rat snakes, Drak grey rat snakes, pure yellow rat snakes, pure Everglades rat snakes, jet black black rat snakes, Bairds rat snakes, Great plains rat snakes (pure) and then the Transpecos rat snakes from time to time. From Europe and Asia there were Diones rat snakes, Chinese rat snakes (bimaculata) Leopard rat snakes (situla), Stinking goddess, Korean and Russian rat snakes, Japanese four lined rat snakes as well as Japanese rat snakes (climacophora) along with the species so common now like Taiwanese rat snakes and the rarer ones like Mandarins and mountain ratsnakes.

Today so few people care about keeping them pure and or even breeding them.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Viper_SA » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:33 pm

I like the Rhino's, but they don't seem that commonly available where I'm looking.... Any pointers?
Happy herping :D

My Gallery: http://www.sareptiles.co.za/gallery/index-25579.html
Viper_SA
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Westley Price » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:11 pm

Just keep an eye on the classifieds.

Also, if you can make it to any of the bigger expos, you're bound to find them.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Savu » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:21 pm

Funny you should mention that,bushviper. Today I was talking to my son about the rat snakes,and how I haven't seen one in ages,especially yellow rats and everglades. Now and then you see a greyish,blackish one,but its only a guess as to what it could be. My first pair of snakes was a yellow rat pair,and I still remember the "WOW" effect when I placed them in my cage at home,and sat for hours watching them,and guzzling down a 6 pack!
Savu
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic fangless (harmless) snakes