Where did all the Taiwanese Rat Snakes go and why?

Snakes exotic to South Africa commonly known as non-venomous.

View Gallery

Where did all the Taiwanese Rat Snakes go and why?

Postby ranger » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:33 pm

It seems that Taiwanese Rat Snakes have fallen by the wayside in collections in SA. Stunning snakes with good temperament, impressive size and hardy enough to survive the most idiotic of keepers. The question is, where have they all gone? 15 years ago they were the flavour of the week and now it seems a hassle to find them.

Any ideas on why?
Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.
ranger
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Where did all the Taiwanese Rat Snakes go and why?

Postby Jamster » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:38 pm

I have got a +-2m male and I have been struggling to find a nice big female for him. Tai rats are probably my favourite of the asian rat snakes, which is probably because a big tai rat was one of the first snakes I ever held.

IMG_2014090518513.jpg

I think most people that are new to snakes tend to go for the corns and kings, and tend to shy away from snakes that get big or could potentialy be aggressive. I help a friend out from time to time by running his petshop. Funnily enough the trend I have noticed is first they get a corn snake or a leo, and then when their confidence boosts up or their parents become more lenient they get a ball python or a BCI.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic fangless (harmless) snakes