Transporting snakes by Plane

Snakes exotic to South Africa commonly known as non-venomous.

View Gallery

Transporting snakes by Plane

Postby tobiasf » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:20 pm

Good Day,

Is there any advice someone can give if I want to send my exotic Kingsnakes to a herper in Cape Town from Pretoria.

Who do I use? Who is the cheapest? And in what containers do I send the snakes off with?

Many Thanks

Tobias
076 150 7990
1.1 Arizona Mountain Kingsnake
1.1 Durango Mountain Kingsnake
1.1 Gray Banded Kingsnake
1.1 Western Hognose snake
tobiasf
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Transporting snakes by Plane

Postby IanM » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:28 am

Bidair has a pet section, they are probably the best guys to use in my opinion. Although you could also use SAA cargo.
Its normally around R200 and you can just call and book a place, and drop them off about 2 hours before the flight.

I put them in Tubs (with air holes), wood shavings or torn newspaper in the the tubs with them, or into cloth bags with a draw string. Then placed into a cardboard box with more air holes and torn newspaper to stabilize them. The airline will give to the stickers to place on the boxes and I normally just write the persons contact details and the mine on the box aswell.

Let the person who is collecting them know when the flight land so they can collect them without them sitting in the warehouse for too long. Make sure that the person collection them in Cape Town has the transport permit for them before you send them too. The Western Cape has many prohibited species that the other provinces can keep, but kings are ok as far as I know.

That's about it, it's not as difficult as people think it is.
IanM
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Transporting snakes by Plane

Postby Mathandanyoka » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:55 am

Along with good info and advice from IanM, my two cents:
- Live species being transported by air must be packaged in accordance with IATA specifications.
-Specimens must be transported and displayed in escape proof containers.
-The transportation of any live specimen by air shall be done in accordance with the International Air Transport Association live animals regulations and any other Act
Mathandanyoka
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Exotic fangless (harmless) snakes