Vegan of vegitarian

This section is for debates, Quizzes and Competitions. Please keep the debates clean, no name calling, etc. Have fun!
Check back often to see the latest Competitions and progress thereof.

Vegan of vegitarian

Postby vuduman » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:31 pm

I know a guy who only keeps eggeaters only, for he doesn't support feeding mice to snakes...So I have a question...

If you are vegan or vegitarian, what reptiles do you keep?
Are the only animals you keep also vegitarians?
vuduman
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Vegan of vegitarian

Postby Fooble » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:40 pm

Im vegetarian and funnyly enough also keep some egg eaters ;)

But i also keep numerous other snake species and gecko species.

I had a vegan tortoise once!
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby MISA » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:51 pm

Eggs are veggies? :smt017 I have heard them called chicken fruit but as for them being veggies I am not convinced.

All 19 of my animals eat "meat" as do my carnivorous plants, even my little starling eats the odd earth worm and mince pieces..

only my crickets prefer apples, butternut and other forms of vegetarian nutrition. :-D

As for myself I eat anything, if it makes me sick I wont eat it again, simple!
"I have absolutely NO tolerance for stupidity and self-inflicted pain borne out of the greed to gain at another’s expense."
(Made_In_SA 09)

1.0 -Matindane (WC)
1.0 -Mkhovu (WC)
1.0 -Tokoloshe (CB)
1.0.1 -Angasi (WC)
MISA
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:53 pm

Ha ha i guess eggs are the meat eaters veggies i dont know?

Like how some call chicken vegetables weird!
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby ReptileCorner » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:59 pm

I have recently become a vegeterian (after reading some very disturbing books on the meat production industry) - however I don't eat eggs or drink / eat milk products anymore either so I am closer to vegan than vegeterian.

We still have our bosc monitor, lizards and snakes - The rats, mice and roaches they get are organic and are bred sustainably. lol.
I have two Uros who are complete vegans.
"These Hitlers use the camouflage of science to make money out of animals... so whenever they murder our animals and call it sustainable use, I`ll fight it. Since when has killing a wild animal, eating it or wearing it, ever saved a species?" -Steve Irwin
ReptileCorner
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:07 pm

Nice reptile corner!
I must say in a natural way mice/rats/geckos/frogs are the only things most snakes can feed on so its OKAY in my terms.

There are few things between vegan and vegetarian what most dont know is how much gelatine is in almost ALL sweets YUK!

My rule of thumb when it comes to me, If it had/has eyes or a parent i dont eat it.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Bushviper » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:09 pm

The best line is from "My big fat Greek wedding" which goes along the lines of "I am a vegetarian" and the old lady says "Its okay, I make you lamb".

You do know that plants have feelings too and if you even cut a flower they register this? Think of that next time.

If you dont like what the meat industry does to domesticated animals go kill your own wild animals humanely. Problem solved.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby F1refly » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:56 pm

Pansies. Meat make strong. But seriously though, I have no problems eating meat or eggs or sweets or anything. I just feel bad feeding live mice to Animals but have no problems feeding dead mice or insects to my creatures.
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Ales » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:07 pm

"The best line is from "My big fat Greek wedding" which goes along the lines of "I am a vegetarian" and the old lady says "Its okay, I make you lamb"."

Funniest movie EVER!

Personally i would suffer a tasteless and terrible life without meat!
What a world....
Ales
SA Reptiles Member

Postby F1refly » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:54 pm

Ales wrote:Personally i would suffer a tasteless and terrible life without meat!

I heard that. Otherwise for those of you who are vegatarians only and dont like feeding insects or mice to reptiles, get yourself some Uromastyxes or something along those lines.
"Welcome to Megaton, the Bomb is perfectely safe" - Deputy Weld, Fallout 3

"People don't die in America because of lack of Health Insurance. People die in America because people die in America" - Stephen Colbert

"Just because you don't understand how electricity works, doesn't mean it's the work of god"

Reptiles
1.0.0 Python regius
0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps
0.0.1 Elaphe guttata guttata
0.0.1 Eublepharis macularis
F1refly
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dannylomb » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:14 pm

I think a egg is refered to as a ''poephol vrug'' so it qualifies as meat that little red dot when you open it up is meat. But I think it cruel to deprive a animal from it's natural diet I don't keep snakes but I do keep bearded dragons and geckos they eat nestling mice, you should see how that bearded dragons little face lights up when he notices what it is.
dannylomb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakes4Africa » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:23 pm

I met a lady who was a vegan in a petshop once. She was trying to buy vegetarian food for her dogs (German Shepherds.) She said she was tired of having to cook her own food for them. We discussed the fact that dogs are naturally carnivores and need meat to survive. She disagreed and informed me that her previous dogs had "lasted a whole year without meat." And then mysteriously died.

I eat meat. I keep snakes and feed them what they require. I breed rats and mice and buy rabbits, chickens and piglets. I have no compunction doing so, but also do not allow any of the feed animals to suffer.

If we were not intended to eat animals, why were they made of meat?
Those who have made no mistakes have learned nothing and can teach nothing.
The same is true of those who continue to make the same mistakes.

Pain is temporary
Snakes4Africa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby mailjvdb » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:13 am

If it wasn't for a high protein diet, Humans wouldn't be so "intelligent" as they are today... Just a interesting to-make-a-long-story-short fact.
www.deviantexotics.co.za
mailjvdb
SA Reptiles Member

Postby SABOAMAN » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:20 am

If all the vegans and vegitarians eat all the green stuff what will the cows feed on :?: Suffer a slow and painfull death of starvation?

If you are a vegan/vegiterian and you are doing it for health reasons so be it, good for you :D

I do like my braai,biltong and droewors and if you do not buy these things more for us that like braai,biltong and droewors :D
Rudolf Booyens
SABOAMAN
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:01 am

If you like animals why do you eat all their food?

Seriously though each person has the right to decide what they like and dont like. I respect that and as long as they dont try to change me then I am happy for them.

Reptile corner for one spent a whole day with me and never mentioned the fact that she was a vegan. That is what I like. Not shoving it down anyone's throat.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Next

Return to Debate, Quiz and Competition Forum