Vegan of vegitarian

This section is for debates, Quizzes and Competitions. Please keep the debates clean, no name calling, etc. Have fun!
Check back often to see the latest Competitions and progress thereof.

Re: Vegan of vegitarian

Postby froot » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:34 pm

Brad the organic food thing is part marketing strategy part healthier eating.
Organic meat is supposed to be healthier because the animals are not supplimented with growth hormones which are transferred to the person eating it and routine pesticide/fungicide etc. treatments used in normal farming methods that contaminate and affect the environment. I do see merit in the concept especially when farming is so money driven that they will do anything to increase production regardless of what sort of effects it has on the meat they're delivering.

As far as the vegan thing goes, each to their own. I don't believe you're 'saving the planet' by not eating meat and if you're not sensible about it you may not be doing your body any justice either. I have seen many strict vegatarians that look a bit like scrawny pickled olives and thinking to myself 'what on earth are you doing to yourself?' Coming from a part owner of a beef farm I could happily live on a meatless diet and I don't see myself doing very well on a purely carnivorous diet so IMO all in moderation, leaning more towards the vegetarian side of things. At the end of the day it all comes out looking the same ;-)
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby ReptileCorner » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:12 pm

As far as the vegan thing goes, each to their own. I don't believe you're 'saving the planet' by not eating meat and if you're not sensible about it you may not be doing your body any justice either.

Yip I agree - I am fully aware that me being vegan is not going to make a difference on the meat production industry or the environment, if I am not buying the meat, then someone else is. I actually have a problem with the idea of eating someone's mother (as Fooble says)....or even bits of someone's mother. And Milk is just gross - we are the only species on earth who drink milk from other animals, and the calcium you obtain from milk is not as much as what you would get from certain vegetables. And the idea of an egg. Think about what it really is. Yukky.

But, yes, I would never recommend someone to all of a sudden turn vegan, you need to make sure that you see a dietician to ensure that you are guided with your food choices. Otherwise you will look like an olive on a toothpick.
"These Hitlers use the camouflage of science to make money out of animals... so whenever they murder our animals and call it sustainable use, I`ll fight it. Since when has killing a wild animal, eating it or wearing it, ever saved a species?" -Steve Irwin
ReptileCorner
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Fooble » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:13 pm

ReptileCorner wrote:I agree - I am fully aware that me being vegan is not going to make a difference on the meat production industry or the environment, if I am not buying the.

he just-released “Vegetarianism in America” study, published by Vegetarian Times (vegetariantimes.com), shows that 3.2 percent of U.S. adults, or 7.3 million people, follow a vegetarian-based diet.

I tend to disagree, often people underestimate the power they have as an individual it all starts with one. One person not buying some meat product is minuscule, but more then one sure makes sense.
But 7.3million makes a differene.
The mentality of if i dont but it then someone else will is stupid, " Ah man if i don't shoot this heroin someone else will..."
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby bradmiller » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:05 pm

@ Froot - I understand. My point/joke (either my sense of humour is skew or no one got it) was only aimed at the "bunny huger" types the health benefits are obvious.
You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it’ll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it’s not even funny.
- Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Postby ReptileCorner » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:10 pm

The mentality of if i dont but it then someone else will is stupid, " Ah man if i don't shoot this heroin someone else will...

:lol: - love it. You are so right Fooble.

Everyones reasons are different, those are just mine - if I do make an impact on the environment and the meat production industry then all the better, it's a win win situation. Of course in a perfect world I would love nothing more than everyone to stop using animal products, but being realistic, that will never happen.
"These Hitlers use the camouflage of science to make money out of animals... so whenever they murder our animals and call it sustainable use, I`ll fight it. Since when has killing a wild animal, eating it or wearing it, ever saved a species?" -Steve Irwin
ReptileCorner
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Debate, Quiz and Competition Forum