'safe' handling

This section is for debates, Quizzes and Competitions. Please keep the debates clean, no name calling, etc. Have fun!
Check back often to see the latest Competitions and progress thereof.

'safe' handling

Postby armata » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:29 pm

Have a request - could you please change the name of one of the competitions to 'dangerous handling' as two of the entries are necking vipers - and as I have said before tis naf folks, old fashioned, and not necessary. UNLESS FOR A GOOD REASON - TREATMENT, ASSIST FEEDING, VENOM EXTRACTION.
otherwise Duh??
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Iggy » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:07 pm

:oops: guess you'll see two shift boxes at the end of the month!!
Seriously, we also discourage people from necking snakes purely for handling purposes, during removals etc, this photo was taken during a talk and demonstration which included the various fang mechanisms. Don't know if you agree with it in this situation, but certainly not an everyday practice - perhaps the mods see fit to remove it and we will replace with one which fits the title more appropriately.
Iggy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:05 pm

Thanks for that most sensible reply - don't know about demos. I guess I worry that would be hot keepers see necking as the standard safe way of handling venomous which nowadays it certainly is not.

TV and other publicity has not helped; I guess that tubing would appear pretty tame on a programme about snakes; after all they are supposed to be dangerous :oops:
armata

Postby froot » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:31 pm

I was thinking the same thing, I think at the end of the competition we should give precautions on pictures deemed unsafe.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Bushbaby » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:28 am

Speaking about the competition... I don't see many more entries!! Come on guys!!!
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby armata » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:41 pm

Sorry about multiple entries of handling comp - just wanted to make my point :oops:
armata

Postby froot » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:52 pm

No problem, but could you possibly make your pics a little bigger. Please for my sake, my eyes are not so good ;)
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby armata » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:05 pm

Just click on the photo for large view
armata

Postby froot » Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:59 pm

Oh! :oops:

Ok thanks.
froot
Founder Member

Postby Contortrix » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:39 pm

armata..

Asuming my contribution is one of the photos you are thinking about. . . As discussed in another thread, i prefer pinning by the neck with this species i had four individuals (G.b.siniticus) refusing to eat by their own and i did try "sponge methood" but for a snake that size this species is really strong and it felt more safe doing it this way. I did this once a week in about two months, not a "fun" thing to do but nessesary. . . Allways work with what feels most safe to you not the other way arround.

Cheers, Ronny
Atheist.
Contortrix
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:57 pm

I did point out that it is necesary for assist feeding, administering medication; and if you extract venom for a living. But vipers, particularly the small ones, e.g. Echis,small Bitis, Cerastes, Vipera, and of course Gloydius can be a bugger.

Have you heard of the 'Rowley' pinning tool - PAUL do you read this forum??? He devised this tool with tropical rattlers in mind - he works at the Venom Res.Centre at Liverpool UK.

I must also admit - a few weeks ago had a cape cobra in an aviary between the mesh and the roof and the only way to remove it was to neck it and tease the rest of the body out. Elapids on the whole are 'safer' to neck than vipers/adders; bearing in mind though how far forward mamba fangs are.
armata

Postby Q Ball » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:32 am

Have you heard of the 'Rowley' pinning tool - PAUL do you read this forum??? He devised this tool with tropical rattlers in mind - he works at the Venom Res.Centre at Liverpool UK.

Have you got a link to a site describing this tool and trhe operation thereoff or maybe a pic?
I like candlelight dinners, romantic walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Q Ball
SA Reptiles Member

Postby wickets » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:03 pm

wickets
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Q Ball » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:18 pm

Cool Thanx
I like candlelight dinners, romantic walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Q Ball
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:28 pm

Contortrix the comments were not aimed at you as pinning is pretty normal when force feeding snakes.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Next

Return to Debate, Quiz and Competition Forum