The united states of America

This section is for debates, Quizzes and Competitions. Please keep the debates clean, no name calling, etc. Have fun!
Check back often to see the latest Competitions and progress thereof.

Postby Long John Silver » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:42 pm

What venomous do you get in Florida? Copperheads, Cotton-mouths, Pigmies, Canebrake rattlers? Is that about it? Do you need permits for exotic and native snakes in Florida?

What about some pictures of Florida (please no photo's of your caravan-living relatives........)
Murphy's law in Herping: "If the snake is within range, so are you"
Long John Silver
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BillyBoy » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:48 pm

Correct but you forgot eastern diamondbacks and corals too. :D

Billy
BillyBoy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:04 am

Isn't the catching permit situation in Florida a little difficult? Whats that situation? Or is it venomous keeping permits that are hard to obtain.

I know in California you can just go out and buy a fishing permit which covers the catching of reptiles (with limits).
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby BillyBoy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:07 am

Yeah, it's the keeping of venomous that's the hard part. Catching herps is unregulated as far as I know.

Billy
BillyBoy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Long John Silver » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:09 am

Anybody living anywhere else in the USA????

Lets assume that I do go to the states, and after a while I start missing all you South African buggers and decide to send each of you a juvenile trans-pecos copperhead for christmas. How does one go about exporting snakes to South Africa from America? How much does it cost?
Long John Silver
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Pythonodipsas » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:03 am

I went to the states, bought a whole lot of snakes and tried to export them. It wasn't hard, but it takes time, mine took over 2 months. You will need to speak to the local US Fish and Wildlife department for export permits. If you have any CITES species you will need permits from the local CITES authority. They will only issue CITES permits if you can prove the snakes were captive bred.

Also get the State Vet to certify the snakes are free of disease.

Then you will need to find an airline. British Airways will ship venomous but only from certain ports. You will have to find out which is nearest to where you are. You will also need to make up a shipping crate that meets IATA regulations which you will get from the airline.

On the south African side you will need the relative import permits and most importantly you will need to get state vet clearance. Make sure the state vet knows whats going on because if he is unhappy he can send the snakes back (at your expense) or euthenaze them on the spot. You will also have to allocate a registered quarantine facility to hold the snakes for 30 days.

It sounds like a lot but it can be done if you put your mind to it.

I failed because my contact in SA, who helped me through all the paperwork forgot to tell me about the state vet issue. I only discovered this when I arrived back in SA and the snakes were in washington about to be shipped 2 days later.

This state vet issue caused a delay and the chap who was keeping my snakes, was moving to a different city and couldn't keep them any longer. He passed my snakes and his snakes onto someone else he knew. This person subsequently dissapeared and stole all our stuff. I lost about over R15 000 worth of animals.
`
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes, you'll just have to claw your way through this disguise.
Roger Waters & David Gilmour - 1979
Pythonodipsas
SAReptiles Techie

Postby mm069 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:26 am

oh my sack... that's sinful...
"I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself." -David Herbert Richards Lawrence
mm069
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Long John Silver » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:24 pm

Pythonodipsas, so what you are trying to say is that If I'm over there and you're over here. And we send each other snakes, both of us could be making a lot of money?

Another thing. If I'm based in a state like Texas were one doesn't require permits for native or exotic snakes. Can I go and catch wild snakes and export them to South Africa?
Long John Silver
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:34 pm

LJS - Be careful, when keeping reptiles becomes all about the money, thats usually when you crash and burn.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Long John Silver » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:46 pm

Fair enough!!!! I am a cr@p business man anyway.
Long John Silver
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:11 pm

LJS you cannot just catch in most states. They have bag limits and protected species and methods that you may not use etc. Find out for sure before going crazy.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby crimson king » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:54 pm

Many states have regs. for sure. TX just passed a law that prohibits "road cruising' for instance. Here in FL it is still legal to do so and in many s.e states as well.
You MUST check the local laws before heading out.
There's a book, Reptiles and the Law that could give an overview for you.
Changes are made frequently so keep up with the latest.
Ask the local herp. society in the area you wish to visit for more and the latest regs.
:Mark
crimson king
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:16 pm

Prohibiting roadcruising? Is driving over snakes and killing them legal?
I'm sure you'll agree, some laws don't make sense.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Long John Silver » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:30 pm

Mark. Which state would you consider the best for herping?
Long John Silver
SA Reptiles Member

Postby crimson king » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:33 am

Sorry for the delay..I missed the post.
Well, I live in FL so I have more knowledge of this state.
Depending on what you're looking for of course, but I'd stay in the south or southwest. FL panhandle can be great at times.
AZ and NM are also I hear...
:Mark
crimson king
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Debate, Quiz and Competition Forum