Durban & Surrounding Areas

Found a snake in your garden? Need someone to remove it? Here is a list of people who put their lives at risk to save snakes, and remove them unharmed. Please do not prank them. They are there to help you.

Durban & Surrounding Areas

Postby dups23 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:25 am

Snake removals and relocations call Chris on 0820645063
Durban/Durban North/Hillcrest areas R150
Ballito/Amazimtoti areas R250
dups23
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Durban & Surrounding Areas

Postby Durban Keeper » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:21 pm

Honestly. I know it's people's time & money to collect these snakes, but if I was a citizen who knew nothing about snakes, I'd probably rather chop it then pay some chop R250 to remove it! Nothing personal, just my thoughts though. If I had the time to offering a similar service, I think if possible, a simple donation towards my petrol costs would have been more then sufficient.
Life is but a dream for the dead.
Durban Keeper
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:47 pm

lol ^5 :)
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:57 pm

Yes nothing personal, but I personally just get a rush from saving a snake, chameleon or whatever.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:41 pm

Dups i think your fee is more than fair. Hope summer is busy for you.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby drummer » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:09 pm

Petrol and time adds up big time!! He will be making virtually no profit. And when you go rushing out for that 100th snake at 2am that is no longer there... it can get really frustrating. And to know that you would be doing that and receiving no compensation what so ever can really kill your love for doing call outs.

The odd one or two is cool and fun yeah....but do 5 a day and see how you feel at the end the week. Trust me catching spitters, house snakes, heralds and bushsnakes is only fun for a few minutes. Especially the areas where he has targeted... people have access to books and internet etc. so there is no excuse for being uneducated. My 2cents... good luck bro.
what the hell is wrong with me?
drummer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BushSnake » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:17 pm

Conservation costs money. Sad but true.
We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium - Ansel Adams
BushSnake
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Bushviper » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:28 am

Durban keeper you have obviously not ever had your number given out for problem snakes removals. Nobody sponsors petrol and time is money. On a bad day it is not uncommon to spend 2 to 3 hours per callout looking for some snake which they think they saw yesterday. They dont tell you this until you get there though. Up to 10 callouts a day will take up your whole day and cost a tank of petrol. Unless you are living off a trust fund or have your own company which can function without you then you need to be paid for providing a service.

Try asking someone to remove bees for you. Here they charge R450 and they take the honey with them. The hive they then use to produce more honey which they harvest. They do not have to try and find the hive it is easy to find unlike a snake.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Iggy » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:44 am

Sadly though, I have to agree with Durban Keeper...especially in a rural area where every farmer has a shotgun or a panga. Not sure about other areas but here our permit to catch and release does not allow you to charge a fee and to do so would risk losing the permit. However people are always welcome to make a donation and very often they do. The one thing we have started doing to limit waste of time calls is telling people that we only charge them for our time if we do not find the snake, that way they make sure they keep an eye on it and can tell you exactly where it went! It also stops the "I saw a snake last week and I want you to come and find it" type of calls. Either way, good luck, I don't believe it is "wrong" to charge for such a service, in fact it always frustrates me that if you do work to save the planet it is expected that you must live like a pauper but if you work for an oil company you can make millions. And this in an age where we are supposedly "environmentally friendly!!! But that is a whole other topic :)
Perry's Bridge Reptile Park
Hazyview, Mpumalanga
"Through Inspiration Comes Conservation"
http://www.snakes-uncovered.com
FIND US ON FACEBOOK!
Iggy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Slayer69 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:49 pm

Good points all round.
I think I would be more on the sacraficing side of saving the planet.
Not charging for call outs and only accepting donations.

I do however agree that it could get fustrating and make you lose interest in helping with problem snakes.
Although I have never done call outs I will after I have sucessfully done my course.
I think a big help and the clever thing to do wuld be to get as much information out of the caller before you go out.
Ask them to keep an eye on the snake etc, but you will always get the the call out that leads to nothing wasting your time and leaving you frustrated.
Maybe we should put together a general list of questions to ask while the caller is on the phone??
The more experienced guys should be able to setup a list that once completed you could determine weather it is worth going out.
Slayer69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Iggy » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:02 pm

Agreed Slayer69 - unfortunately though, ascertaining for yourself that the call is a waste of time and convincing the person on the other end of the phone of that fact - are two different things :)
Hazyview, Mpumalanga
FIND US ON FACEBOOK!
Iggy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dendroaspis » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:58 pm

Well, here we go out. Regardless if you caught the animal or not. We do not charge for it.
And in this area, its more than one or two a day.

In any event, if your love is for the animal, going on 20 callouts a day and maybe catching two should feel rewarding not frustrating. At least, it is for me.
Home is behind the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night, until the stars are all alight.
Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
dendroaspis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rob » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:47 pm

DENDROASPIS - My love for reptiles is not easily matched, and yet i still get highly pissed when called to Isipingo Beach for a Grass snake chopped in two with its eggs strewn all over the driveway while the front half of the snake still tries to escape. And then, despite knowing full well i was on my way, they still refuse to pay me what was agreed on the phone because i didnt technically remove anything.
Your or my love for snakes means nothing in this instance.

Petrol being where it is, running costs on your vehicle (easily overlooked), time, the fact that I dont earn R30 000 and month while being able to do snake removals, all contribute to the fact that i push for ONLY R150. If people werent so damn cheapass here on the South Coast i would charge R250.
What do you get for R150?? 2 movie tickets? Please!

I have been doing removals down here for about 10 years and honestly, the amount of times i leave disgruntled and upset far outnumber the times i leave satisfied and content.
Rob Deans

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation. Your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~Dale Carnegie
Rob
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Iggy » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:41 pm

;) @ dendroaspis doesn't mean we do it, (very seldom) but as Rob says, some call outs are just ridiculous...a recent case in point where we did say we would charge - Eskom called us to go to a meter box where there was a "big snake". When asked as usual "when was the snake sighted" - the answer was "last summer". Now this I consider to be a time waster :D and to travel 30kms for that.... but a simple case of "I saw the snake, it went under a cupboard and now I can't see it" and we don't end up finding it...no charge. But not everyone is in the position to bear those costs, its a tough call.
Hazyview, Mpumalanga
FIND US ON FACEBOOK!
Iggy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:59 am

Dendroaspis you work for a snake park and are actually getting paid while catching the snake. It is not as if your business is closed while you are hunting some snake. You can do something with the snake once you get it whereas the rest of us have to now go and drive out more petrol to release it. You also get donations (okay so R50 000 was stolen too) to do this sort of work whereas the rest of us cannot put out a donation box at work to cover the petrol bill.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Next

Return to Problem Reptile Removals