Please recommend snake remover in Pretoria East

Found a snake in your garden? Need someone to remove it? Here is a list of people who put their lives at risk to save snakes, and remove them unharmed. Please do not prank them. They are there to help you.

Please recommend snake remover in Pretoria East

Postby Calista » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:37 am

Good morning

Can anyone recommend a snake remover / catcher in Pretoria East?

We live next to a green belt area with a dam and plenty of frogs and cane rats (and thus snakes) and virtually no natural enemies for snakes. We've had numerous problems with snakes before (but only water snakes, herald snakes and house snakes). However, last Sunday our dog got bitten by a night adder (in broad day light I may add). We don't want to make another generous contribution to some vet's beach house, so we need to address the snake problem in our garden.

We have 2 particular problem areas in our garden which may be the place where the snakes gain access or hide out; however, I must stress that I need the snake catcher to search that area for any nests / snakes / eggs, and that he may not necessarily find a snake as such. But we need to do the searching, before implementing plans to try and keep the snakes from gaining access to the area. We are of course willing to pay for the person's service and time.

Many thanks
Calista
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Please recommend snake remover in Pretoria East

Postby mental-tree » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:41 pm

You wont keep the snake out unless you place a dome over your house and garden.

Also trying to force them out of their own habitat isn't very nice :O You've invaded their territory so learn to live with them or move to an area with a smaller snake population.
mental-tree
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Calista » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:13 pm

I appreciate the response, but it doesn't answer my query.

As for your remarks and suggestions, they are not sensible or realistic. You ought to know that it is far more practical and economical to move a snake to a different location than it would be for me to pack up my entire house and move to another area (further away from the schools, work etc), just because of a snake in the garden. And no, I cannot learn to live with them, because I cannot supervise my dogs and kids 24/7. My neighbour found a rinkhals in his garden a while ago, at the same spot where his toddler was playing minutes before.
Also, I am almost certain that I can keep the snakes out, because I know where they come in. They have access from the green belt area to my garden through drainage holes in the boundary wall. I am about to plug those up, but unfortunately, the ones in there will be stuck and die a slow and painful death. As for the ones remaining in my garden because they can no longer use the escape route, they will be killed when I find them in my garden. Is that what you want, would that be nicer than trying to force them out of my garden? I thought civilly removing them beforehand would be the right thing to do and innocently asked for assistance, I certainly didn't expect to be judged like this.
Calista
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:23 pm

Mental-tree, please think before you post.

Calista, you can contact Andre Prins - Removals Pretoria East, Centurion 072 562 7758.

If you don't come right with Andre, please PM me your number and I will pass it on to someone else.

Thanks for asking here first and not just killing them.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Westley Price » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:31 pm

Calista, there are a few members on the forum from your part of the world who will be happy to help you out, especially for payment ;)

However, the truth of the matter is that this will only be a temporary solution. Us guys who keep or have keep snakes can tell you, they are masters of escape and can move through spaces or over obstacles you cannot even imagine. You may decrease the numbers, but you will never remove all the snakes or prevent them from re-entering.

But a temporary solution is better than none at all.

You can buy a special spray at certain stores which is a snake repellant (differing opinion on whether this is effective), or you can strew some moth balls around your garden (may be a problem with the dogs). Diesel or petrol also works, but this is not wise due to the environmental impact. I have also heard of certain plants you can plant which are strong smelling which repels snakes.

Here are a few discussions on the repellants:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9102
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17027&p=131617&hilit=Snake+Repellant#p131617
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=23496

Good luck and good on you for not killing them straight away.
"I am dying by inches from not having anybody to talk to about insects." - Charles Darwin
Westley Price
Forum gatekeeper

Return to Problem Reptile Removals