Rinhals

Found a snake in your garden? Need someone to remove it? Here is a list of people who put their lives at risk to save snakes, and remove them unharmed. Please do not prank them. They are there to help you.

Rinhals

Postby Wallas » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:32 pm

Wallas
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Rinhals

Postby Bushviper » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:38 pm

Who's fault is it that the snake was in his car? R300 for a call out was cheap. Would have charged him far more if he had that attitude with me.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Andre.P » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:03 pm

A much better article:

http://www.citypress.co.za/news/man-tel ... n-station/

News24 misquoted The Times twice already during this saga (although they also did not have all of their facts straight).
As I understand it, Gautrain had no reason to believe that the snake was still in the car (if 3 people really did go and check) and even I was confident that the snake had left (assuming it had been left in peace). When I was there to try and catch the snake on the Tuesday, it tried to leave the car at one stage, but the movements of security guards spooked it back into hiding.

The reactions of a lot of people, both at the scene and online, have been a mixture of "Oh my word! There is a venomous snake in Midrand" and "Incompetent snake handlers".
The latter reaction shocked me a bit and has put me in an uncomfortable position (especially as I have been named in many of the reports). It is easy to say that you saw a snake entering a car, or that you saw it in the car. But to prove it is no longer in there a couple of days later, without destroying the car, is almost impossible. If the owner had asked me to dismantle his car on that day, I would have obliged, but he did not at the time feel it was necessary - he was also willing to wait it out. It is sad that after he waited it out, it still turned out like this. However, I am just gratefull that the snake has now finally been removed and that this is finally over.
I am not a complete idiot! Some parts are still missing.....
Andre.P
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Skyeli » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:57 pm

The journalist do what they do best, sensationalism! Its quite sad, as the only thing they do is spread fear in everyone!

I dont know if anyone is in table view cape town, but there was an incident that a legless skink came into the home and they didnt know what it was. Alot of people just said kill it. A guy openly admitted he killed a few cobra's because of his dogs being in danger. Granted if he had time to get his gun, he had time to get his dogs back from the cobra. Just so sad how many people dont care about snakes. and how many people defended everyone that killed these animals! :(
Skyeli
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wallas » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:47 am

Yes the chairperson of our club send an email out for the call out, but I only saw it the next day.
Wallas
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Problem Reptile Removals