So unnecessary!!!

Found a snake in your garden? Need someone to remove it? Here is a list of people who put their lives at risk to save snakes, and remove them unharmed. Please do not prank them. They are there to help you.

So unnecessary!!!

Postby Kakibos » Tue May 13, 2014 7:02 pm

I just got a phone call from a lady that had a Rinkhals in her house but struggled to find a "snake catcher". Only person she could find charged her too much so her husband killed the snake because he felt his children was in danger. Only after that she found my number but sadly too late!

One can not really blame the people in need of help but what makes me mad is people that do catch and release for the wrong reason. I mean come now, one can not get rich doing this so why try and make a buck out of everything.
I am not saying that you must do everything for free but even if you get 10 bucks donation it is good, at least you saved the snake. You as the snake catcher decided to remove problem snakes no one forced you!

Well she saved my number and will in future call me.

Any thoughts on this from your guys?
Kakibos
SA Reptiles Member

Re: So unnecessary!!!

Postby Savu » Tue May 13, 2014 7:25 pm

Many years back I was on the old " Transvaal Snake Parks" list for snake removal in the jhb south area. There were plenty calls,mostly rinkals,and a lot of the times the snakes were long gone before I got there. I did it free of charge,and was always excited,never really knowing what snake it might be. But I suppose these days,with petrol being so expensive,it is reasonable to cover costs. As I say,on many occasions,the snake was long gone,and the trip was for mahala! By the way,how much did the snake catcher want to charge? Then we can see if it is reasonable or not
Savu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Kakibos » Wed May 14, 2014 6:22 am

I did not even ask so don't know what he charged, yes petrol is expensive so what I normally do is to ask a donation to assist with petrol cost and nine out off ten times I don't get less than Hundred rand. I also do not go out if they saw the snake the previous day because then its normally gone.
Kakibos
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed May 14, 2014 12:00 pm

I also work on donations. The rich people generally say they dont have cash and "will EFT the money" which you never see. It is often those people than can least afford the money that give you something. They appreciate that other people have to cover their expenses.

If someone insists that I come and look for a snake they saw the previous day then I charge them quite a bit because I know they will keep me there for a while wasting my time.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Jamster » Wed May 14, 2014 12:20 pm

If I am nearby I usually don't charge. I usually go by how far I have to travel, both for the catch and the release.
1.0-reticulated python (Ripcord)
1.1-burmese pythons
5.5-brown house snakes
1.0-taiwanese ratsnake
3.8-BCI
1.1-corn snakes
1.2-rhombic skaapstekers
1.0-yellow rat snake
Jamster
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Davidc » Thu May 15, 2014 1:57 pm

My wife called me yesterday while I was in town. Rushed home to find a juvenile Cape Cobra in the yard. Caught and released him straight away. First time to catch one here but have caught plenty Puffadders in the yard.
Ball Pythons
1-9-0 Normal
1-0-0 Spider het AXA
1-0-0 Mojave het Orange Ghost
1-0-0 Cinnamon Vanilla
1-1-0 Yellow belly
0-1-0 Axhantic
1-3-0 Pastel
0-1-0 Fire
GTP's
1-1-0
Davidc
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Fri May 16, 2014 8:17 am

With the price of petrol nowadays, I look at far I have to travel. I would say an average trip for me is about 30km (Including To and From), so I will charge for 4lt. of fuel at R14 a liter, I typically round this off, so the cost would be R60.

If I have to unpack a whole Garage / Shed / Bedroom. If it is after hours. I charge for that as well.

So yes, my callout fee can range from R50 to R350. I of course negotiate the price before getting to work.

I had a case where, when I arrived the people refused to pay for either my Petrol or services, and threatened to kill the snake, a BHS, I did not charge for that one.

I had a case where I travelled 40km to the place where the snake was, and 40km home. Just let me say this, very affluent area, big double story house, BMW and a Bentley in the driveway, everyone and his neighbour standing outside, I spent nearly 3 hours moving furniture around, and found an Olive Ground Snake. Total time away from home on a Sunday evening, 4 hours. Believe me when I say that these people contributed R1000 for my Time, Labour, and Travelling Costs. On the other side of the spectrum, I have travelled 25km to a venue inside the Township near my area, spent 2 hours in a house and its ceiling, and charged nothing.

It is not exploitation, it is me putting my life on the line going into an unknown situation. Bottom line, there is nothing wrong with being paid for your worth.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Aventi » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:17 am

I don't believe really in charging people for removal, depending on how far it is 30 Km plus from a 10 Km radius from my home=Free (since i stay on a plot) anything more and i will ask only the Petrol fees to any addition km. This works best for me and for any one else that is in need of the service, beside from that they can give donations, these donations end close to R3,200 Net and every now and then close to R 5,000 pm Net, so being cheap isn't always a bad thing.
Aventi
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Problem Reptile Removals