My first school talk

If you provide educational talks at schools, functions, shows, etc, you can list your details here. This section is also for discussions on various philosophies, etc, as everyone teaches differently and has different beliefs. This applies to Reptiles only. If you would like to open a topic for debate, please do so in the debate forum.

My first school talk

Postby Rishaad » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:02 am

Hi

Next week I am doing my first educational talk at a primary school. I will be doing the show with one grade at a time as there will be more interaction in a smaller group than opposed to having it done in the assembly area with all grades there. I must admit that I am quite nervous as this is my first show. I am planning on taking the following animals:

Red Tail Boa
Burmese Python

Sinaloan Milk Snake
Corn Snake

Egg eater
Brown House Snake
Aurora House Snake

I have made a few posters which include the following indigenous snakes: 3 common harmless snakes, 3 common venomous snakes and 2 common mildly venomous snakes. Any advice or tips would be highly appreciated. :smt010
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Re: My first school talk

Postby Neurotoxic » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:14 am

I remember my first talk! Also nervous. All i can say is good luck, well done and dont stress! You will see when you start talking... it will all come naturally as this is you passion and the kids will have loved every minute of your talk. They will ask lots of questions and just wana hold and touch.
Neurotoxic
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:31 am

Don't worry Bro.

As said, it will come naturally, all I can say is that it becomes easier as time goes by.
My first talk was to a Pre-school class of 5 year olds. To try to talk in terms they can understand is not easy.
I also found them to be more interested in looking and touching than any thing else. Just warn them not to Squeeze, I always try to stress open hand touching and not at the head or tail but in the middle of the body.

Best of luck, we will be with you in thought.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:36 am

Be aware that kids can grab at snakes and hurt them or else hold them and then suddenly drop or throw them down. Grade ones usually do not understand the concept of mildly venomous and it is better to avoid this.

These kids dont know anything and will believe anything you say so there is no pressure.

Just remember these words "you are not nervous, you are excited". They have worked for me in the past. Have fun.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Bushbaby » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:44 am

I would suggest you start with the Egg eater, cause they don't have teeth and cannot be harmful. This usually puts the audience at ease. Then go onto the house snakes. Leave your biggest snake for last. Good luck!!
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Rishaad » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:14 am

Thanks for the heads up, advice and the support guys. I really appreciate it. There is a total of 551 pupils from grade R to Grade 7. I never expected such a good response from the first school I approached but I was amazed at how keen these kids and some of the really are to learn about these animals. In the community I come from snakes are really feared and this fear is instilled in kids from an early age and I hope I can play a small part in changing the mindsets.
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby insaniac » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:20 am

I agree,

Start with the smaller species and build up trust and excitement gradually by increasing size and " danger level "...

Once you get to the Burm, you'll have them eating out of your hand !

Good Luck man !
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other...
insaniac
SA Reptiles Member

Postby kalvaer » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:41 am

insaniac wrote:Once you get to the Burm, you'll have them eating out of your hand !
and the Burm will be licking its lips at all the bite sized food in front of it
kalvaer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:25 am

Good luck and let us know how it goes.This is the way we make a difference, and change the future, by starting with the youth.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:48 am

Another pointer is that you should keep the talk short for the smaller age groups, and you can give more facts to the older age groups.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Rishaad » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:42 pm

eish @ kalvaer - As it is everything that moves she approaches thinking its food which including my hand. Im trying to get her out of that habit of doing that when i open the cage. I even tried squirting her in the face with water when she does it but it doesnt bother her.

For Goodness Snakes
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dendroaspis » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:50 pm

Grade 0's and 1's just want to be wowed, so not too technical. Get them involved. I sometimes get them to make a train and move like the snakes I am showing, i.e. straight line for a puff adder.
The grades from there on up differ a little. Grade 2 through 4 I ask them alot of questions, basically getting them to do the talk.
The higher grades I start doing a more factual demonstration.
Home is behind the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night, until the stars are all alight.
Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
dendroaspis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby MrG » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:06 pm

Do not underestimate their knowledge, some might suprise you. Enjoy.
MrG
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby drummer » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:24 pm

"Sorry sir...what is the LD50 of Dendroaspis polylepis? "
what the hell is wrong with me?
drummer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rishaad » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:47 am

lol @ drummer

For Goodness Snakes
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Educational Talks