Hopefully Ive made a small change

If you provide educational talks at schools, functions, shows, etc, you can list your details here. This section is also for discussions on various philosophies, etc, as everyone teaches differently and has different beliefs. This applies to Reptiles only. If you would like to open a topic for debate, please do so in the debate forum.

Hopefully Ive made a small change

Postby Rishaad » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:11 am

So yesterday was one of the best days of my life that I will never forget. Even though not all the pupils in the school participated there was still about 320 kids who all had a real blast. I was quite nervous especially with the younger kids because you cant really go into much detail with them.

My wife was off work yesterday and came with to assist me with the show. She doesnt really handle any of my animals but she really proved herself yesterday and I am very thankful that she was there.

The older kids really were intrigued and asked many many questions. I was amazed at some of the detailed questions that some of these kids asked. At some stages the kids were getting a little out of control but I said to them that if order is not restored that I will stop the show and that quickly sorted things out.

I must say that it was quite exhausting as these kids require alot of energy but it was worth the while seeing all those smiling little faces and also squashing the myths. I would like to thank everyone on the forum who gave me valuable advice and without you peoples support I dont think this would have been possible. Here are some pics from the day:

PS. Unfortunately there was one individual who is not from the school who tried to ruin everything for the kids and myself and even took up alot of my time that was supposed to be used for the kids. He was even threatening me which obviously didnt work. Will post it in the other category as I need some urgent advice on the matter from you good people.

And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Hopefully Ive made a small change

Postby Fooble » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:24 am

NIce going Rishaad!
Those Kids Look Stoked!
Organized crime comes in more forms than one.
Fooble
Forum gatekeeper

Postby joef_conner » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:09 am

Ya Good on Rishaad. Nice looking burm! Love seeing pics where a line of ten kids has to hold up one snake :)
joef_conner
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby dendroaspis » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:44 am

If you reached one child, it was a good day :)

(this is my belief, which means that any more than one is truly awesome)
Home is behind the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night, until the stars are all alight.
Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
dendroaspis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:58 am

Well done Rishaad.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby jka » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:20 am

Well done man its great that you did this, I'm sure they will think twice before killing or letting someone kill a snake now.

I only noticed a BHS ;) maybe you should try to include more local snakes, like mfezi, puffie boomslang, and other more common snakes that occure in your area, then you can educate them on what is hot and what is not.

You can always take big posters of the more dangerous snakes with to show them.

Again nice going :smt023
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rishaad » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:38 am

Thanks guys. Couldnt have done it without all the support from this forum.

@jka - I had a bhs,a corn snake, a milk snake, an egg eater and the burmese there. Unfortunately I dont keep venomous because of my 18 month old son. I dont think I would risk taking venomous to a school anyway. I did have about 10 A3 posters that I made which I put up as well. These included mfezi, black mamba, puff adder, bhs, egg eater, spotted bush, night adder and herald and an anatomy and distribution poster. I also sponsored the school a snakes of southern africa poster (Johan Marais).
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:18 pm

Rishaad working with venomous snakes and kids is not something to be taken lightly. What you are doing is fine. Small kids only concentrate for so long in any case.

When you have done enough schools you can look into getting a data projector and a laptop and then you can show then close ups of Spotted bush snakes and Boomslang so that they can see the differences for themselves. Things like that will make the talk more interesting but limit the pictures to about 10 minutes or else they get bored.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Buck Rogers » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:21 pm

Rishaad you are a LEGEND mate!!! :smt023 :smt023 :smt023 :smt023 :smt023 Really good job and much respect for what you did there, the more information shared amongst the younger generation gives us hope in the future for conservation! You have inspired me to start taking action and looking to see where and how I can do such things up here in Jozi!
Life is a beautiful struggle
Buck Rogers
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:22 pm

Ofcourse you've made a change, you've changed the attitudes of a classroom full of people towards snakes, that's a very big change.

Well done, you make us proud.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby jka » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:30 pm

jka wrote:I only noticed a BHS ;) maybe you should try to include more local snakes, like mfezi, puffie boomslang, and other more common snakes that occure in your area, then you can educate them on what is hot and what is not.
You can always take big posters of the more dangerous snakes with to show them.

Rishaad wrote:
@jka - I had a bhs,a corn snake, a milk snake, an egg eater and the burmese there. Unfortunately I dont keep venomous because of my 18 month old son. I dont think I would risk taking venomous to a school anyway. I did have about 10 A3 posters that I made which I put up as well. These included mfezi, black mamba, puff adder, bhs, egg eater, spotted bush, night adder and herald and an anatomy and distribution poster. I also sponsored the school a snakes of southern africa poster (Johan Marais).

Bushviper wrote:Rishaad working with venomous snakes and kids is not something to be taken lightly.

I think I should rephrase what I was trying to say:
You should try to include more local snakes.
You should take posters of the mfezi, puffie boomslang and not real life specimens
and lasty you can also take photos/posters of the more common snakes with.

I hope this makes more sense. :D

Excellent work, you seem to be doing everything fine.
Evolution is an imperfect and often violent process. A battle between what exists, and what is yet to be born.
jka
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rishaad » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:04 pm

@Buck Rogers - Legend - Far from it man. I think you should go for it because it really gives you a warm feeling working with kids.

@Froot - I am proud to be a part of the SA Reptiles family.

@jka - Cool man. No offence taken. I will try and get more indigenous stuff.

For Goodness Snakes
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby armata » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:27 pm

Well done Rishaad you are on the right track, education, education, education!

I have an interesting one next week in the Eastern Cape - 60 adults who I am told are mostly anti-snake.

But I am taking only indigenous, mole, BHS, plus Cape cobra and Puff Adder.

Well, I like a challenge.
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Rishaad » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:44 pm

Good luck. Im sure it's going to be a little difficult to break the fear of adults but im sure you will do an excellent job of it.

For Goodness Snakes
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:33 pm

@ Rishaad - well done Bud, more than one person converted there, so a major change taken place.

@ armata - there is no more satisfying feeling than breaking a Phobia.
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Educational Talks