If you provide educational talks at schools, functions, shows, etc, you can list your details here. This section is also for discussions on various philosophies, etc, as everyone teaches differently and has different beliefs. This applies to Reptiles only. If you would like to open a topic for debate, please do so in the debate forum.

Postby MrG » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:04 pm

70% of this group was girls.
Monday night will be with them for a long time. My trusty helper and co-host Istvan made them at ease and taking the talk to their level was making a big difference.

MrG
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Re: 106

Postby Rishaad » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:49 pm

Once again, well done. Too much education will never be enough.
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:37 am

What saddens me is that we have to resort to using exotic reptiles because of the problem getting permits to keep and then to transport and display indigenous animals. I wonder if this helps conservation as much as if we could have had local reptiles flying that flag. Possibly this needs to be discussed with Nature Conservation.

Either way the kids seem to really enjoy it.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby MrG » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:41 am

Thx, cant agree with you more Arno. Politics and inconsistancy is hurting our hobby.
MrG
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Rishaad » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:51 am

That really sucks. Fortunately, I don't have that problem here and I display at least 4 common species from the area and often you would get people saying "Hey, I know that snake as I see them often and kill them in my yard." Once you tell them its not a venomous snake or is just a mildly venomous snake their outlook tends to change a bit. I hope things change on that end for you guys. Good luck.
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Hennie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:57 pm

A bit late on a reply but here it is anyway. A huge company in the Pinehaven / Muldersdrift area who encounters many snakes and don't want to kill them wants me to give a talk to their employees on the indigenous species occuring in the area. They want to see what they look like, how to identify them and how to treat a snake bite from one of these species. Many of them know how to identify a brown house snake, a herald snake and a night adder, but they still don't know how to identify the three most dangerous snakes in the area, Puff Adder, Rinkhals and Stiletto. How are we going to teach them if we can't show these snakes to them?
Hennie
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Educational Talks