What a S@#t one

Anything other than a reptile or any other category covered on this forum.

Postby Spoon » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:02 am

jka wrote:steve It depends on how bad she was injured and what treatment she needed.

Your right she needs quality treatment but if the promises from the state is true she will get quality treatment from an public hospital.

Unfortunately from personal experience I can tell you the public hospitals are definitely not a place to get quality treatment.
Spoon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby SarkkaS » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:04 am

Sorry for the loss, as well as for the maid's pain. Let's hope she makes a full recovery. Once again, we see that in rare cases, a seemingly docile dog can become a little less than nice. Isn't a first for a pitbull, either - but I know cases of much "kinder" dogs turning on people as well, including a golden retreiver.

-Sale
Sauli Särkkä
SarkkaS
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:33 am

Jeez thats a horrible thing to happen. Sorry about your loss.

Maybe you should change your alias now, to something like 'Top maid' or something like that :D
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby moby302 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:31 am

hey Topdog, you did the right thing, if my maid was bitten by one of our dogs I would also make sure she had the best treatment, I am really sorry to hear about Haze though I do understand why you had to do it, we have boerboels, and they can be scary, my oldest one bit my daughter in the stomach about 7 years ago, we faced a big decision, should we have him put down, or not, in the end we did'nt because it was really her fault, boerboels slobber, great big strings of slimey drool, she was outside and he was slobbering and she shouted at him and had a broom in her hand (sweeping out the avairy) which she waved in front of him, so he did what any normal animal would do, stopped her. He bit her again about 4 yrs later, she opened the security gate right on his backside, I can imagine it was painful, he let her know on her leg. Being a fair sort of a dog he did not want her to have one bite on a leg and not the other so a year or so later he repeated it when she was shouting at her father and decided to use him as support. Now she has even bite marks on each leg, none of them deep or serious, more like warning nips, but we do not allow any of our kids outside with him anymore without one of us being around. Unfortunately more and more so called breeders are ruining the boerboel, we have another one who is more boxer than boerboel and he has 'papers', I am not that fond of boxers, they have an aversion to cats and we have many cats. Unfortunately we did not realise this at the time as he looked like a boerboel as a puppy, and once you get a dog you cannot just decide that you don't like him, he must go, its not that simple, its a commitment.
moby302
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:45 pm

If that was my Boerboel I would have put him on ice long ago. That behaviour you expect from a wild animal but not from a domesticated animal.

Boerboels were kept by people during the great trek for example. If it bit a lamb they shot it, if it bit a kid they shot it, if it ran off and did not protect the family they shot it. They could not afford to feed a dog which was technically useless and would use up valuable resources. In that way they bred dogs that were good with kids, did not tackle livestock and protected people. They never needed to protect property because the "property" kept moving.

That strict adherence to special qualities has been lost and then you end up with dogs like these. Papers or no papers, the dog cannot read the papers anyway. The only papers a dog needs is newspapers while house training them.

I have only just now in the past few months inherited domesticated animals so my kids have learned how to deal with wild animals all their lives. If they got bitten then they got into trouble, because obviously they did something wrong. They also got taught dogs and cats are evil and cannot be trusted. I think they have been bitten more times by domesticated animals than injured by wild animals.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Michelle » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:01 pm

So sorry to hear what happened Top Dog. Something must have made the dog snap. Pitbulls are said to have a "trigger", the problem is that every pitbulls "trigger" is different so it's a bit tricky. My brothers pitbull hated seeing your feet sink under the sand when you walked on the beach, it drove him nuts!! I am so sorry that you had to put him down. It must have been very difficult to do but I understand your reasoning and would have done the same thing.
Michelle
SA Reptiles Member

Postby moby302 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:42 pm

Bushviper wrote: They could not afford to feed a dog which was technically useless and would use up valuable resources.

I would not exactly say my dog is technically useless, he is a 90kg deterrent to anyone who feels the need to jump our wall to ask for directions. He is also around 24/7, don't have to worry about the power going out and the alarm not working, so if I had a choice between my daughter being raped and killed in her own home, or getting a nip from the dog, then the dog wins hands down. Another point is that she is human, supposedly a more intelligent species than a dog, she should have known better, which is something she acknowledges, she was very anti up even considering putting him down.

When it comes to the boerboel/boxer mix, I feel like sueing the breeders as he is defintely not a pure boerboel, but he is an okay dog, barks at the right people, has shown no aggression to the kids, I just wish he would leave the cats in peace, he is also a fantastic alarm clock, wakes me up every morning by sticking his nose in my face at about 6am, to be let out.
moby302
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:27 am

Moby I meant the Voortrekkers did not want to keep an animal that was technically useless to them.

If the dog does not interact with humans that well then keeping him segregated would also be a solution and then he has the run of the yard at times when the kids are not out and about.

I would just not have kept him personally but if you can accommodate him then that fine too.

It is a pity you cannot spray the cats with aloe juice and dish washing liquid. The dog will not want to grab them again after tasting that. Unfortunately the cats will have to groom themselves afterwards!
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby moby302 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:58 pm

LOL, I have thought of that, well not exactly the dishwashing liquid one or aloe juice, but doing something along those lines, but as you say, cats tend to spend a lot of time grooming. It totally ignores some of the cats, but chases the others, must be a colour thing. Does'nt actually bite them or anything just chases them and then the cat will sit of a chair and hiss and spit and the dog will just sit there watching.
moby302
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Anne » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:40 pm

I used to breed Boerboels. They can be wonderful dogs. Currently I have 2 left, don't leave them alone with my daughter (2) because of size. Unfortunately there are a lot of so called breeders who does not care about temperament. But then it's because the general public still believe a dog needs to be aggresive to be a guard dog. Used to P""" me off if people asked for an aggresive dog. But I have to say if it was me I would have put the dog out, a 90kg Boerboel attacking is not a nice pet.
Anne
SA Reptiles Member

Previous

Return to Other Pets