Transport of live reptiles.

Suggest a new board or feature for the forum. Share your ideas on how we can make SAReptiles the best and most user friendly forum possible.

Transport of live reptiles.

Postby Allen G. Liebenberg » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:45 pm

Hi all.I have a number of hatchlings available for guys who would like to own a new snake.Living far from any main city(Brits) how do I get these snakes to people all over S.A. Its too much hassle to get to Oliver Tambo airport e.g.I want to do this legally.
Please can someone give advice.
Allen G. Liebenberg
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Transport of live reptiles.

Postby Bushviper » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:31 am

Hi Allen.

It is illegal to use a normal courier service as there are certain standards when transporting animals which not all courier companies can meet. There are dedicated animal couriers who do provide this service however this does come at a premium cost.

This will always be a problem unless the buyer is prepared to pay extra and you get somebody to drop them off at OR Tambo every time there is no other way.

Even herpers have lost animals to over heating while transporting them. What do you think a truck driver is going to do when he needs to have lunch or stop for a bathroom break. He is not going to find shade and open the doors like we would. He is not going to open the container and check the temperatures either.

It is best to make sure you have enough snakes to send and then do it all in one run. Either that or get the people to pick up the snakes from you.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Re: Transport of live reptiles.

Postby Allen G. Liebenberg » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:25 pm

Thanks Arno.Its more or less as I thought it would be.
People who are keen enough will have to make a plan.
Allen G. Liebenberg
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Suggestions And Technical Support