Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite.

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite.

Postby bradmiller » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:21 pm

I hoped the day would never come... but as they say - you are either in 1 of 2 groups..... so now... I have been bitten.

Although I have had almost 20 years experience keeping snakes (of which 10 of these are keeping venomous) I had never been tagged by a hot, yet I knew in the back of my mind it will happen one day.
I am not gonna say don't keep hots, and only do this or that, but rather know what affect your hobby/passion/profession has on those you care about.

Owning any hot is a huge risk not only to your own health but a risk to the people you love. The people you care about (some of you will agree) they do not really want you to be so intimate with something potentially deadly. In one split second you are happy and loving life then they are in a mad panic, worried that their life may be turned upside down as a result of an incident with your slithery friends.

Complacency is a b1tch, and it hurts!

So here is my VERY LUCKY story!!!!

Sunday 24 October late at night, doing chores for my scaly friends when it came time to examine my Eyelash Viper (who has been very unhappy and not eating for a while).
After pining and examining the mouth for signs of mucus and infection (which was clear) I decide to quickly check his lung if that was clear too.
STUPID me I thought I could just quickly check while I had him firmly gripped (instead of tubing him), this combo he really did not like and as quick as a flash he twisted in my grip with such force I thought I was going to break some bones and promptly jabbed one fang neatly under the nail of my middle finger - boiling water injected directly into your flesh! that's what it felt like! Instant pain!

I made sure the snake was back in a safe holding tank and informed my other half which did not go down well (note - when you do work with your hots make sure you are not alone!)
I packed a few things. Pressure bandaged my finger hand and arm and went to Milpark hospital.

I did what seems to be the customary thing here in JHB and called BV to ask for advice on route to the hossi's, fortunately BV said it did not sound too bad. (Huge thanks again BV)

30-45 mins after bite - The pain was now moving up my arm and there was massive intervals of throbbing every 5-8 mins in my finger and hand.

Here are some pics...

The bite site

Swelling in the finger tip

My whole hand - note the lack of swelling ontop of my hand
At this point my armpits were also tender

The next Day -Red Swollen and sore!

I could not not make a fist and the throbbing was intense with the occasional burning sensation at the bite area

Thought this may be of interest to someone - my blood test results

Well 5 days later the swelling has gone down completely, I still can not use my middle finger for anything - its also has very little touch sensation, almost dead feeling on the tip but if I bump it OMG it hurts.
Total fluids count on first 2 days - 10 litres of water and 6 energades
Countless tips to the bathroom!

That's my lesson learnt, and unfortunately a horrible event for my other half to which I will be reminded of in the future when I want to add anything to my collection.
All in all I had a very minor bite and I was very lucky!

Here is the little gem - beautiful but a world of pain if you mess with the pointy end!
You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it’ll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it’s not even funny.
- Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Bothriechis schlegelii - Bite.

Postby LeglessDragon » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:28 pm

Glad to hear you are ok. Close call. The family part is why I will never own hots.

Strange enough I was starting to consider it that one day, maybe... This just reminded me why my 'one day will own hots' dream will remain just that - a dream!

Thanks. Again - Glad to hear you are ok.
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Sico » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:43 pm

Thanks for that Brad

and thanks for putting up the blood workup report. It would be interesting to see the INR and PT in someone that got a really full dose of the venom from a large specimen of these, as most of the venoms casuing cellular damage have a rather bad effect on the vascular system and kidneys.
hopefully the discomfort wont last longer than another week or so, but keep us updated.
Mark
Good judgment comes from experience. Unfortunately, experience usually comes from bad judgment.
Sico
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:10 pm

It happens to the most experienced, but that still doesnt make it ok, hehe. Glad your doing ok. You mentioned that it tends to have a big impact on our loved ones. This is a factor which no one keeps in the equation and it creates strain on relationships.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Amphibian » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:25 pm

I took a bite from the same species early last year and still the most persistent reminder of my mistake is my wife!!!!
"When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic.
We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudice and motivated by pride and vanity" – Dale Carnegie
Amphibian
SA Reptiles Member

Postby swazi » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:33 am

Very happy that you are ok! and what a beautiful snake you have there..
Swazi
Women are Angels...and when someone breaks our wings...we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick..we are flexible like that.
swazi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snake Charmer » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:25 pm

OMG ... glad to hear you are OK.

And yes, it's a beautiful snake!
Repetition builds confidence!

MP
Snake Charmer
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:55 am

OUCH!! That looks painful. Glad you are okay though. It will take a while, but eventually the pain will go away. You will probably have some lasting effects for quite a while. Just glad it worked out okay for you.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Archie Bottoms » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:26 am

Copperhead, I know how you feel.
Archie Bottoms
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:29 pm

Ouch!
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fredsmith » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:37 pm

Eina eina eina!!
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
- Albert Einstein

Fred Smith
fredsmith
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bob H » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:56 pm

Thanks for sharing and glad you are OK. It is good to have a reminder every now and then!!
Bob H
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bob H » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:03 pm

Is the culprit as she? It looks really fat and I thought she? might be gravid. I had a female deliver a clutch a week ago. Beautiful snake.
Bob H
SA Reptiles Member

Postby bradmiller » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:12 pm

No Bob he is a male - would not mind a female form him, can you PM some details!
You know, you can touch a stick of dynamite, but if you touch a venomous snake it’ll turn around and bite you and kill you so fast it’s not even funny.
- Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter
bradmiller
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Long John Silver » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:41 pm

Glad you are okay Brad
Murphy's law in Herping: "If the snake is within range, so are you"
Long John Silver
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Venom Club