Boomslang Bites three?

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Re: Boomslang Bites three?

Postby froot » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:40 pm

I'm shocked to hear this.
At least there is time before the venom really takes effect, he got to the hospital in very good time and he is in good hands. I pray that there are no complications and he gets out in the next couple of days, I'm sure he'll be ok.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Loslappie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:36 am

Thats 5 people that I know of that got bitten by Boomslang in the last 2 years. Seems Boomslang bites are on the rise..

Serpy hope all goes well!
If it hasnt yet, it will!
Loslappie
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Cornelius » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:44 am

Strongs mate. You are in my prayers
There is something that is much more scarce, something finer by far , something rarer than ability.
It is the Ability to recognise Ability

http://www.facebook.com/pages/West-Rand-Herpetological-Association/125756994130804?v=photos#!/pages/West-Rand-Herpetological-Association/125756994130804
Cornelius
SA Reptiles Member

Postby BOOGY » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:20 am

Hey Serpy mate, hope all goes well! Please do return and tell us of your ordeal. Im sure we will all be able to learn something.
Goodluck mate!
Reptile Roulette - JUST SAY NO!
Burger Loots
BOOGY
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:08 pm

Rowen...I hope all goes well. Let us know. All the best
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby gaboon69 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:30 pm

I spoke to him this morning. He started showing symptoms but he sounds like he's in good care. Hope to visit. Perhaps BV can tell us more.
Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life ~
Rachel Carson
gaboon69
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Bushbaby » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:29 pm

Aparently he has booked himself out of hospital because he feels the doctor doesnt know what he is doing (which he probably inst, hey). This is 2nd hand information, so I stand to be corrected.
http://www.snakebiteassist.co.za
http://www.reptileexpo.co.za
http://www.boaconstrictors.co.za
Bushbaby
SA Reptiles Admin

Postby Serpy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:18 pm

Hi all,

thanks for all the well wishes,

Just a bit of backround for you guys. It was one of the "tame" boomslang, luckily I didn't treat it as such, was handling with a hook all by the book, was trying to get some photo's for a friend overseas. Had it set up in the tree, thought I was far enough away and it owned me. The strike range these guys have is phenominal when they do their side swipe flinging action.

Ok why I signed myself out. I had several conversations with the doctors during the course of my stay, they were checking clotting times and full blood work every 3 to 4 hours around the clock. 3 this morning the doc and I had a chat and he agreed that everything looks perfect, there was no change in my blood work at all, my clotting times were perfect too. My brother is a doctor and over the years has taken an interest in snake bite for my sake so he's keeping avery close eye on me incase things turn bad, which I strongly believe they won't. The way the snake bit me I believe its a dry bite, i'd say a mock strike that was lucky enough to land on target.

Early this morning I started having headaches and slight nausea which passed as quicky as it came, I suspect the nausea was from them rolling the dead people by lol. The most horrible experience of it all though was that I had to spend my entire stay on those damn emergency room trollies, there was no bed available to me, by 8 or 9 this morning there still wasn't but apparently I was on the waiting list. I lost it right there and then and proceeded to go through the motions of getting discharged. no sleep, or food for the last 30 hours will do that to you, believe me!

The treatment from the doctors was very good, I will gladly go back to that hospital if I ever need to, the docs had a good general knowledge of the bite and weren't stubborn to taking advice from myself If I felt something wasn't quite right.

A very special mention goes to the Life Med medics who were with me within 5 mins of the bite, excellent treatment and service from them, which other establishment will send someone around at 11 at night to specially come check how you doing?

All in all it was a cr@p experience, I aim to make this my last.

Thanks to all everyone for their support, whether it was phone calls, sms's or emails, you guys rock.

Rowan
A good burper is a good herper.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby LeglessDragon » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:25 pm

Glad to hear you ok.
My heart always leads, my brain always lags. Words are said in the moment and friendships made or broken. My heart always leads...
LeglessDragon
SA Reptiles Member

Postby froot » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:53 pm

Yes me too, I probably would've done the same as you and checked out.
We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
froot
Founder Member

Postby Serpy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:10 pm

Yeah I tried to stay longer but wasn't working for me
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Mitton » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:30 pm

Really glad it was not serious Rowan.
www.moreliapythons.co.za
Mitton
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Serpy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:55 pm

Me too, could've been worse.

For interest sake, are their any parts of the venom that are known to break down muscle or something to that effect. I'm extremely sore all over, feels like I got the cr@p kicked out of me by 10 guys last night.
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

Postby dendroaspis » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:12 pm

LOL so you been beaten by ten guys before? Remember when a girl says no, it means NO!!! :D
Home is behind the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread
Through shadow to the edge of night, until the stars are all alight.
Mist and shadow
Cloud and shade
All shall fade
dendroaspis
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Serpy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:20 pm

LOL 10 guys, 1 girl can't remember the beating was so bad haha :)
Serpy
SA Reptiles Member

PreviousNext

Return to Venom Club