Snake Bite - ID required

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Snake Bite - ID required

Postby Jen » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:53 pm

Hi there
The details on this are going to be sketchy - I apologise upfront! But, any suggestions will be most welcome. A friend & colleague is looking after a young girl in a Durban ICU who was bitten by a snake yesterday:
Location - Mid Illovo on a farm in KZN
Site of bite - foot
Description - around 60cm long, thin and brown with a pale / white tail (?!)
Symptoms - Almost immediate respiratory difficulty with associated leg weakness
She responded well to antivenom - it was given quickly and her symtoms improved. I don't know which anti-venom they used. She is not on a ventilator. Her kidneys and coagnulation are normal so far. The bite site is not showing any signs of bruising or necrosis.

Ideas?
1.1.0 Epicrates cenchria cenchria
1.1.0 Corallus hortulanus
1.1.0 Heterodon nasicus
1.1.0 Trimeresurus puniceus
2.2.0 Trimeresurus albolabris
Jen
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Snake Bite - ID required

Postby vuduman » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:34 pm

It would really help if you can get a picture of the snake,even if it has been killed.
I cant believe they will give anti venom if they don't know what snake it was that has bitten her.
Is there no chance that it was mind over matter?Maybe a non venomous snake,and she just got a shock out of the whole experience?
It could also have been a "drybite"where little or no venom has entered the bloodstream.
The description of the snake is a bit unuasual aswell.The white tail could have been the underside,and then there is a list of
possible candidates.
The time of the day and the circumstances would give some more clues of what it could be.
Did she tread on it basking in the sun?

Im thinking it might have been a shortsnouted grass snake.Some people have shown symtoms if envenomated by this snake,
but as I say it could have been a drybite.This time of the year,snakes are a bit more sluggish in the col.In my opinion ,the list of snakes it could have been is quite large.
Maybe some other people will have a bit more insightful information.
vuduman
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Snakes4Africa » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:39 pm

Black mamba.
Those who have made no mistakes have learned nothing and can teach nothing.
The same is true of those who continue to make the same mistakes.

Pain is temporary
Snakes4Africa
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:12 pm

Im with S4A.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Rishaad » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:23 am

I am glad she is ok and that this didn't end up being another twisted news read. I agree with S4A as well, in that location there are not too many things that would cause respiratory distress that quickly. Vuduman also has a point, it could have also been psychosomatic.
And God has Created every animal from water, of them are some creeping on their bellies, some walk on two legs, and some on four. God Creates what He wills, for sure God has Power over all things. (Noble Quran 24:45)

For Goodness Snakes
www.forgoodnesssnakes.co.za
Rishaad
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herpetologist » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:31 am

Dendroaspis polylepis.
I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.

W. C. Fields
Herpetologist
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Jen » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:51 am

Thanks for all the replies. Absolutely - a picture would have been ideal! I asked, but no luck. This was the most information that could be extracted. The symptoms definitely sound neurotoxic. I initially thought of a Mfezi, but there are no local signs at the bite site.
I thought that 60cm would be too small for a mamba - how big are hatchlings? Are hatchlings quite pale in colour - could they be described as brown?
@ Vuduman - sometimes antivenom is given based on symptomatology alone - this bite was obviously neurotoxic and the polyvalent antivenom that we have in SA is effective against - Puff adders, gaboons, rinkhals, black & green mamba, and cobras (Mfezi, Snouted, Cape & Forest) So, if it's obvious that you're dealing with a neurotoxic snake this antivenom should work. It is, however, always better to have an ID before treatment.
There is always the possibility of it having been all in her head! Panicking & hyperventilating alone can cause weakness and respiratory difficulty.
Thanks for the suggestions - this was just for my interest. I didn't look after her - if I'd been on duty I probably would have been on the phone to Byron or Arno!
1.1.0 Epicrates cenchria cenchria
1.1.0 Corallus hortulanus
1.1.0 Heterodon nasicus
1.1.0 Trimeresurus puniceus
2.2.0 Trimeresurus albolabris
Jen
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Herpetologist » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:13 am

Yeah, they could be described as brown, they are quiete very pale itf they born.
I always keep a supply of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy.

W. C. Fields
Herpetologist
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Return to Venom Club