CAPE COBRA VENOM

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

CAPE COBRA VENOM

Postby Tharu » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:54 pm

I know that these snakes have a potent neurotoxic venom. Is it true that there is a cardiotoxic element also in the venom?
Tharu
SA Reptiles Member

Re: CAPE COBRA VENOM

Postby MacAdder » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:44 pm

Tharu wrote: ... Is it true that there is a cardiotoxic element also in the venom?

All snake venom-toxins contain hematoxic, Neurotoxic , cytotoxic and myotoxins but which is prevalent is the identification ID.
Cape Cobra toxin contains Cardio toxicity so it is a concern for a patient being treated symptomatically.
This is why a heart-lung machine is essential.
Fight against Oppression apathy and ignorance.
Challenge to open the eyes of those that choose not to see.
MacAdder
SA Reptiles member (restricted)

Postby Tharu » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:57 am

Thank you for the information MacAdder.
Tharu
SA Reptiles Member

Postby michael » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:52 am

Snake venom is best described as a biological toxin cocktail, i.e. a mixture of various active toxins. Each part of the cocktail has a specific function. This doen not mean that each toxin represented within a venom will be of the same quantity or of the same effectiveness in the victim.

Cape cobras have a very potent neurotoxic venom. It is a post synaptic neurotoxin. The venom causes repiratory colapse. Cardio toxins may be present in the venom but would not be a major cause for concern. The potency of the venom preventing nerve impulses from reaching the synapses, paralizing the diaphram, thus making it impossible to breath is very efficient. Ventilation could keep the victim alive until the venom has been worked out the body. Anticholinestarase drugs have been usefull as a treatment aid for post synaptic neurotoxins. SAVP polyvalent antivenom administered IV in a large dose would still be the most effective treatment for a bite by this species.
Michael Burmeister
Psalm 115 v 1
michael
Forum gatekeeper

Postby Cradle of life » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:53 pm

michael wrote:Snake venom is best described as a biological toxin cocktail, i.e. a mixture of various active toxins. Each part of the cocktail has a specific function. This doen not mean that each toxin represented within a venom will be of the same quantity or of the same effectiveness in the victim.

Cape cobras have a very potent neurotoxic venom. It is a post synaptic neurotoxin. The venom causes repiratory colapse. Cardio toxins may be present in the venom but would not be a major cause for concern. The potency of the venom preventing nerve impulses from reaching the synapses, paralizing the diaphram, thus making it impossible to breath is very efficient. Ventilation could keep the victim alive until the venom has been worked out the body. Anticholinestarase drugs have been usefull as a treatment aid for post synaptic neurotoxins. SAVP polyvalent antivenom administered IV in a large dose would still be the most effective treatment for a bite by this species.

Spot on, was worried a liitle because i also thought the capies had mainly neurotoxins.
To fly is heavenly, but to hover is devine!!
Cradle of life
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Tharu » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:23 pm

Hi Michael

Many thanks for the explanation. It is much appreciated.
Tharu
SA Reptiles Member

Return to Venom Club