Puppy vs Puff adder

This section will help you get first aid treatment protocols incase of an envenomation. This includes indigenous and exotic reptiles. Please do not use this forum for photo sharing, etc.

Puppy vs Puff adder

Postby swazi » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:19 am

Spent a sleepless night looking after this little dog that was bitten on the chest by a Puff adder. We were called in to assist 6 hours after the dog was bitten. The owners were in the Kruger and were notified by their gardener.

It was too late for anti-venom so used a warm drip, prayer and lots of TLC but it all worked out fine. At one stage I thought we had lost the battle as the poor little thing started to vomit, poo and all the muscles went into spasm.

Distance between fang marks

Warm drip and warm puppy! Had the drip on a hot water bottle and puppy wrapped up snug as a bug.

Despite being in a world of pain the puppy still managed to smile.
Swazi
Women are Angels...and when someone breaks our wings...we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick..we are flexible like that.
swazi
SA Reptiles Member

Re: Puppy vs Puff adder

Postby armata » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Well done Thea, and one luck lucky pup. Don't you just luv a happy ending :)
' I get my kicks on Route 62 '
armata
SA Reptiles Honorary Member

Postby Bushviper » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:13 pm

Wow that was a fair sized puffie that nailed it. I am rather surprised that a chest bite still went off so well. I hope the doggy now stops "hunting" puffies.
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Those who are afraid to ask are ashamed of learning.
Bushviper
Founder Member

Postby Microlepidotus » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:29 am

Is that a Daschhound?? My one, cocoa was bitten by a snoutie and unfortunately didnt make it. But got a new dog, Montie whos my Labrador, was messing around with a bee hive (just like those monster honey badgers) and the bees didnt like it so a few of them stung him but he didnt suffer any serious symptoms except from an itchy skin! Shame, but its good to hear that doggie survived.
People who dont stand up for anything, falls for everything.
Microlepidotus
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Groenslang » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:06 am

Well done swazi! Swazi 1, Evil dog attacking Puffie 0! :lol:
The future depends on what we do in the present. - Mahatma Gandhi

Arno Davies
Groenslang
SA Reptiles Member

Postby swazi » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:25 pm

Yes it is a very brave and lucky Daschund. The Puff adder was huge! The little dog managed to bite it a few times but not that seriously. The wound on the chest became very, very swollen, so much so we were worried about its ability to continue breathing. After two days the entire chest area felt all soft and squishy with nasty wounds that have taken quite some time to heal.
Swazi
Women are Angels...and when someone breaks our wings...we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick..we are flexible like that.
swazi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:18 am

Well Done Thea. So glad the little chap made it.

One question though, in a dog so small, What would future effects, if any be?
It is better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby swazi » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:38 am

rolandslf the wound is still being treated and the dog is on antibiotics but it is absolutely fine! It is eating, drinking, pooping and doing all the things dogs should do, normally. There will be no long lasting effect besides a newfound respect for snakes by the dog.

If it were a child, I suspect it would have been a different story altogether.
Swazi
swazi
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:06 am

Thanks Thea
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Wolf777 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Nicely done Thea. It always amazes me how much fight some of the smaller dogs have in them.
Wolf777
SA Reptiles Member

Postby steve » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:11 pm

What surprises me is that the dog survived at all, considering the amount venom injected to weight ratio of the dog, I mean the distance between those fangs on the bite site is substantial, that's a large Puffie with a high venom yield, had it been a child even 4 times lager then the dog the child could have easily lost he's/her life.
Surly dogs have a certain degree of immunity to the venom.
vipers?
steve
SA Reptiles Member

Postby yoson10 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:50 am

From what I have seen dogs do not really have immunity to snakebites. Dogs are a bit more resistant to cytotoxic venom than humans are but, [ like humans] they are extremely weak to neurotoxic venom.
yoson10
SA Reptiles Member

Postby Leonvdm » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:27 pm

Hi All,

My staffie was bitten exactly 24 hours ago by a Puff Adder. There arethree bites. We managed to get antivenom, cortisone and pennisilin via a drip into her within an hour and 30 min. The bites are on her foot, chest and back. While she had a VERY painfull night, she now seems much better. She is very swollen, but has eaten and has started moving around.

My question is, having survived for 24 hours, do you think she is now in the 'Safe Zone?

My wife and I have not been blessed with 'real' children, so this animal is like a family member to us. We are VERY concerned and would appreciate any comments.

Thank you.
Leonvdm
SA Reptiles Member

Postby rolandslf » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:25 am

The fact that she has survived 24 hours is very encouraging. I would say that she is not out of the woods yet though, and would think that after another 24 hours you can begin to breathe a sigh of relief. Members with more expertise should shed better light on the subject though.
Roland Friskin
rolandslf
SA Reptiles Member

Postby fuscusV2 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:51 am

I tend to agree in that it can take 24 hours for the real symptoms of puffie venom to set in. Having said that, if she's had antivenom and hasn't suffered any ill effects of that, she should be in better shape than the pup at the top of the thread, although I would guess she sustained more serious envenomation based on 3 bites vs 1. Let us know how it goes?
fuscusV2
SA Reptiles Member

Next

Return to Venom Club